Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have applied for an 820 visa about 5 months ago. The bridging visa a is not in effect because my 457 visa expires in May 2020.

Am I still eligible for medicare? The medicare website says you are eligible if you've applied for permanent residency but conditions apply... Does anyone know what those conditions are?

My 457 visa has a maintain health insurance condition so I obviously do not want to breach that.

Has anyone been in the same circumstances? I just don't want to go to the medicare office to apply only to find out I've wasted my time!

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
You were entitled to Medicare 5 months ago - after a Partner Visa has bee applied for (on or offshore) you are entitled to Medicare when you are in Australia on any valid visa including Visitor Visas.

However many ground floor Medicare staff do not understand this, so you need to then speak to their supervisor or try another branch.

Some time ago I posted some emails I got from them saying what I said above (basically) but it took 3 emails to get them to answer the question that I asked.

Try the search function above (I don't have much luck with it).

·
Registered
331 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.