Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

A little backstory: I originally moved here in 2013 to study a masters degree, met my current partner later that year and ended up proceeding with a partnership visa in 2015. I have been approved for temporary residency (820) and as of April I will be reassessed for permanent residency. I am however now concerned about the longevity of our relationship and if counseling does not prove beneficial I want to have a safety net to fall back on.

I am a qualified Veterinary Nurse (on the CSOL list) and have been working at a private local Veterinary Clinic for the past 2+ years. My employer would be happy to sponsor me if he's eligible.

I'm just looking for clarification on the benchmarks - I don't think he's eligible for benchmark A, but he might be for benchmark B. He pays for all of the Veterinarians and select Vet Nurses to go to Vet Conferences throughout the year to improve their skill set and knowledge, and I was wondering if the cost of that matched 1% of his payroll, would that meet the "recent expenditure equal to at least 1 per cent of the payroll of the business, in the provision of training to employees of the business." ?

I appreciate any information and insight anyone might be able to give. Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I'm not an expert, but those are the types of costs I would include in our training benchmark. He couldn't include the costs for any non-Australian/PR holders and company directors. If he's not sponsored someone before, it would be worthwhile consulting a migration agent to make sure he meets all the criteria. Would he sponsor you directly onto a PR visa?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I have successfully claimed the costs of attending seminars and conferences ( incl. overseas) as part of a client's training benchmark expenditure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not an expert, but those are the types of costs I would include in our training benchmark. He couldn't include the costs for any non-Australian/PR holders and company directors. If he's not sponsored someone before, it would be worthwhile consulting a migration agent to make sure he meets all the criteria. Would he sponsor you directly onto a PR visa?
I'm the only non-Australian so my costs would be exempt but they're insignificant compared to my coworkers costs. He hasn't sponsored anyone before but he would happy to sponsor me directly onto a permanent residence visa. I just want to help make the sponsorship process as easy as possible if it comes to that.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Thank you for your input, I'm glad to hear it's possible!
If your employer has not sponsored before, it might be a good idea for them to get some professional advice. There are many potential pitfalls...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.