Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According Home Affairs website,"If you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America or the Republic of Ireland or you hold a valid passport from one of those countries, you are considered to meet the English language requirement for this visa. Otherwise, you must provide evidence of having achieved the following scores from one of the specified English language tests. You must complete your English language test before you apply."

However, under the student visa section, one of the exemption requirements is for "students who have completed at least five years' study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland". Why isn't South Africa listed under the 476 Visa section as being one of the countries exempt from proving proficiency?

I have recently completed my BSc Mechatronic engineering degree at the University of Cape Town. English is my first language (and the only language that I speak). Do I really need to take a proficiency test?

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
If the visa requires you to have Competent English, then only the 5 countries (UK, Canada, NZ, USA, Republic of Ireland) are exempt from the English test.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
This may be a reason why?

There are few more accurate reflections of the cultural diversity of South Africa than its list of official languages. South Africa has 11 official languages, making the country having the second-largest number of constitutionally recognised languages next to Bolivia and India.

All 11 languages are mandated to share equal emphasis and importance, in usage and in development.

It is unavoidable that all the official languages have exerted influences on each other. However, their origins still separate the languages from being fully intelligible to native speakers of certain tongues.

https://www.expatica.com/za/about/Official-languages-of-South-Africa_105823.html

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
There are Canadians from the province of Quebec who speak very little English, yet we qualify for the exemption.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.