Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had a look around the forum but could only find sort of similar problems, not the same one:

My Partner (Australian) and I (German) are in the process of applying for the Offshore Partner Visa in Berlin.
We are in a relationship since almost 18 months but struggling to prove that in terms of shared bills, bank accounts etc. Although we have spent every single day and every single cent together we never bordered putting both our names on any bills, contracts or bank accounts. As we were traveling for a lot of the time we can't really show rent agreements either.

Despite that fact there are still things proofing our relationship:

We have had a lot of support from each other's families, especially in Australia.
The Visa information says that traveling and living together isn't necessarily an indication of a de facto relationship. But I guess if I was just any friend, my partner's mother wouldn't have paid for my flights to AUS and we wouldn't have lived in her house for months. We had Christmas with his family, went to each other's family weddings and birthdays; things you wouldn't do with just a friend.
We can show that we took at least 6 planes together in the last year and that the tickets have always been paid of the same bank account.
There are endless possibilities of getting letters from different people verifying our relationship.

A quick review of our relationship:
- We met in India in April 2012.
- I had to leave India around the 20th of May, going to Nepal, because my visa ran out.
- Matt (my partner) followed me after two weeks and we met up in Nepal again.
- At this point we knew that it was more than just a holiday romance for us; I decided to come to Australia.
- We had a couple of weeks of Thailand in between; both our plane tickets from Bangkok to Melbourne were a gift from Matt's mother.
- Arriving in AUS in the very beginning of August, we stayed in Matt's parents' house for the first few nights and then took over a friend's room in a share house for one month, while he was gone. All the housemates can confirm that we shared the room and payed the rent, but we didn't make a contract.
- In the beginning of September we went to New Zealand for 3 weeks. We rented a car, but only in Matt's name.
- Flying back to Cairns in the end of September we bought a Van, but again, only in Matt's name (Though I can show that I took a lot of money out just before buying it). We've lived in the Van for a couple of months until we came back to Victoria in the End of January 2013.
- In VIC we've spent the next 3 months living in Matt's parents' house again. They can confirm that but we didn't pay rent.
- In the End of April 2013 we moved to Berlin, where I am from and where we are now. We are living in the same place, but because of 'landlord-problems' Matt is registered in my mother's house (also in Berlin) and I am registered here.

I would be very grateful for any advice, help and information. Is the evidence that we have to proof our relationship going to be enough, or can't you get around the official papers with shared names?

We have photos, emails, plane tickets that show, we have been together every day (except this first two weeks in Nepal) and we have spent more than enough time with each other's family to show, that it was more than friendship.

Thanks for your replies and all the best,
Teresa

·
Registered
520 Posts
You should collect statutory declarations from the people that know you lived together. Do you have any mail that was sent to the same address even it was addressed to you individually? Things like bank statements and bills are great because they have your address and are dated so you can establish a time line. I have heard that the DIAC doesn't accept periods of travel as 'living together' which is key in establishing your de facto relationship. Is there anything you can do today to establish you as living together - joint bills, joint bank account with your address linked to the account, moving and getting a joint lease if you have landlord issues, etc.

You definitely sound like you are in a genuine de facto relationship. I look forward to hearing other users experience with proving de facto while travelling. When do you hope to lodge your partner visa?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Whitney,thanks for your reply.
We want to lodge the application asap as it takes around 9 months to get the temporary visa.
We can get hundreds of people to write statements for us but I guess that's not considered to be enough evidence, 'cause it's only a letter from somebody who wants to help you; they could say anything... We really have no joint bills or accounts at all. But we can show that one of us always paid for both our airplane tickets. And I guess we've both got some mail coming to either his or my parents house... That about as much official as we could present ourselves:)

It would just be pretty sh** if they refused the application and all the money and time was a waste.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My partner and I have been travelling for long periods of time during our relationship (north to south america, overlanding africa, overlanding asia to europe etc.)
A big part of the de-facto visa is that you have shared finances. We did this for our travelling periods by printing our bills (flights, car rental, hotels/hostels, tours etc.) and indicating on our bank statements that we took out money or paid for things at the same places at the same time. It also showed that we paid for each others travels while being on the same booking each time.
We also provided pictures of us together at various parts of our travels.

we have, however, lived together for years when we were not travelling and can prove so with rental contracts in both our names and bills.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi there,

It might sound rough, but if I were you, I would wait until at least December to apply...maybe you can get away with the three months living at your partners parents house and then from April onwards at your mothers in Berlin. You'll need statements from both of them saying you lived there. And if you can, evidence of correspondence to you both at that address. I'm not sure they will accept that because you technically have no liabilities registered together (e.g mortgage or rent) but you will definitely have a better shot than if you applied now.

Like you said, you don't want to spend all that money and get refused..... :(

Goodluck!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.