Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So my partner and I have decided to apply for a partner visa later this year (and also register our relationship so we can have the 12 month requirement waived). We met in March 2013 and it was "officially not just dating" in August 2013. We moved in together on 1st December. He works in the mines 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off and I work in Melbourne, where we live. We're trying to make it as easy as possible and collect evidence earlier rather than later so I would love some opinions/advice on whether this list is going in the right direction, too much or too little, and if anyone can suggest any improvements? This is what we have so far:

Crazy amounts of texts & calls itemised on phone bills
Photos of us
Our Facebook profile showing mutual friends, shared events, tags etc
Shared lease in joint names
Shared bills
Mail at shared address
I'm named on his car insurance
We are eachother's next of kin with our employers
Booking confirmation of a weekend away (& supportive bank transactions)
Cinema tickets from "date nights"
Bank statements showing we buy groceries locally

We are planning to go to Brisbane soon for a weekend so will keep the flight info and any hotel confirmations/ air bnb booking details.

Is there any other stuff we should provide for evidence of a relationship?
I'm planning to get my medical and police checks before so we can submit a full application.

Every relationship is different but I've been stressing out that we'll be applying after only just a year together and, because he works away half the month, we don't have enough evidence of "doing stuff together" on our bank statements, and neither of us keep every little receipt. Sitting watching Breaking Bad together is pretty hard to prove!

If anyone has any thoughts, please tell me! I have been worrying about it a lot and I haven't even applied yet!
Thanks
Jo

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I've read that Victoria is quite strict about needing to live together for 12 months before you can register your relationship. Which one of you is not PR/citizen and can you delay your application until you've been living together a full year?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That sounds like a decent amount of evidence. How about naming each other as super beneficiaries, wills, joint memberships (ambulance, health insurance). Might not be something for you guys, but we also included correspondence from the bank and brokers as we are looking to buy a house at the end of this year in Melbourne.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Oh yes damn Maggie is right - didn't register with me when I read that. My partner and I have lived together for a while but for less than 12 months in Victoria and so we can't register our relationship, they are very strict on this!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I was under the impression that registering your relationship waived the 12 month living together requirement? If you still need to live together for 12 months, why register at all? We'd fulfill the normal defacto criteria without it. Does anyone else know?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to add to that....I know they're strict about the fact that you (as an individual) need to have lived in Victoria for 12 months prior to registering i.e not only been here for 6 months, or lived in other parts of Australia

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! I was under the impression that registering your relationship waived the 12 month living together requirement? If you still need to live together for 12 months, why register at all? We'd fulfill the normal defacto criteria without it. Does anyone else know?
The VIC rules are very strict...In NSW,the rules regarding the criteria for relationship registration are much less strict. Therefore couples here can use it as a loophole to apply for the visa before getting the 12 months living together.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I believe that the 12 months is in relation to being a resident of Victoria for a minimum of 12 months, not necessarily in a defacto relationship, but I'm neither in a defacto relationship nor living in Victoria so take that for what it's worth, lol.

If that is the case then your application looks pretty outstanding from where I'm sitting. The only things I can think of to suggest is writing wills listing each other as beneficiaries and adding each other as beneficiaries on your superannuation accounts. Also, perhaps writing a statement outlining how chores etc are done by whom in your household. Any evidence of joint purchases - car, furniture, white goods etc?

I'm assuming you already have some form 888s lined up? I have seen on this forum that people are recommending that applicants submit more than the mandatory 2 forms.

Good luck!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm assuming you already have some form 888s lined up? I have seen on this forum that people are recommending that applicants submit more than the mandatory 2 forms.

Good luck!
We gave them 5 + declarations from my parents and brother verifying our relationship and discussing future plans

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm hoping that it's the case of residency for 12 months rather than living together, but I'll be calling Births, Deaths & Marriages tomorrow!

We've definitely got 5+ on the 888 form front from friends because I'd seen on other threads that people were often supplying more than the standard 2. We don't really have much in shared house purchases because we pretty much both had our own stuff from before. Good to keep in mind though, and also the super beneficiary thing is definitely a good idea! Thanks so much for the help :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The below has been taken from the births deaths and marriages Vic website:

"To be eligible to register your relationship you must be ordinarily resident in Victoria. To establish this, we request that you provide evidence that both parties to the relationship have been living here for at least the last 12 months"

·
Registered
207 Posts
You BOTH must have lived in Victoria for 12 months before applying. The evidence generally required is mail addressed to you at a Victorian address from over a year ago.

There is NO requirement that you have been together for that period of time. BDM will not enquire as to whether you have lived together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.