Australia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I are trying to navigate the world of partner visas, and I have a couple of questions that I feel like are super basic but I can't seem to find a concrete answer on:
  • Can we apply for the 820/801 onshore partner visa while I (an American) am over there on an ETA? I visited ASAP on an ETA after the pandemic restrictions were lifted and stayed for a total of six months-ish (with a vacation break in New Zealand in the middle), we're together in America right now, and when we go back over I'll still be visiting on the ETA/601 when we plan to apply.
    • If so, does a bridging visa automatically come into effect after we've submitted the application and we're waiting to hear back? I think we both have separation anxiety after the pandemic, and we're loath to spend time apart.
  • Has anyone ever used this Partner Visa Guide? It seems promising to use as a reference to go through the process without an attorney, but after doing some digging it seems the attorney/law firm it's attached to (Frontier Migration Services) hasn't posted anything on any of their socials for months. They also didn't reply to a contact form I sent them asking if they're still active. My "this is suspicious/scam" radar is tingling, but this forum seems like a good place to see if anyone's heard of the guide!
Any advice offered is welcomed!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My partner and I are trying to navigate the world of partner visas, and I have a couple of questions that I feel like are super basic but I can't seem to find a concrete answer on:
  • Can we apply for the 820/801 onshore partner visa while I (an American) am over there on an ETA? I visited ASAP on an ETA after the pandemic restrictions were lifted and stayed for a total of six months-ish (with a vacation break in New Zealand in the middle), we're together in America right now, and when we go back over I'll still be visiting on the ETA/601 when we plan to apply.
    • If so, does a bridging visa automatically come into effect after we've submitted the application and we're waiting to hear back? I think we both have separation anxiety after the pandemic, and we're loath to spend time apart.
  • Has anyone ever used this Partner Visa Guide? It seems promising to use as a reference to go through the process without an attorney, but after doing some digging it seems the attorney/law firm it's attached to (Frontier Migration Services) hasn't posted anything on any of their socials for months. They also didn't reply to a contact form I sent them asking if they're still active. My "this is suspicious/scam" radar is tingling, but this forum seems like a good place to see if anyone's heard of the guide!
Any advice offered is welcomed!
Yes, you can apply onshore while here on an ETA - however, you MUST apply within 3 months of arriving as the ETA has a 3 month stay restriction. Once you apply within that 3 months, you should automatically be granted a bridging visa. It's important to note that the bridging visa will not come into effect until after the 3 months is finished, so you will not be able to work for those first 3 months.

I applied using this same process and it was pretty straightforward - as soon as I submitted the application, I received 2 automatic emails - one advising me the application was submitted, and another advising my bridging visa was granted with the date it was to become effective.

Honestly, if your application is pretty straightforward, there's really no need to use a migration agent or lawyer or purchase a guidebook - for example, if you have been together a long time, have plenty of evidence of your relationship, no dependents, etc. If there is anything complicated with your application, then it would probably be best to reach out to a migration agent for advice first - there are a few who post in this forum regularly. My application was easy, so I did it myself and found all the answers to my questions either on the Immi website, or in this forum.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you can apply onshore while here on an ETA - however, you MUST apply within 3 months of arriving as the ETA has a 3 month stay restriction. Once you apply within that 3 months, you should automatically be granted a bridging visa. It's important to note that the bridging visa will not come into effect until after the 3 months is finished, so you will not be able to work for those first 3 months.

I applied using this same process and it was pretty straightforward - as soon as I submitted the application, I received 2 automatic emails - one advising me the application was submitted, and another advising my bridging visa was granted with the date it was to become effective.

Honestly, if your application is pretty straightforward, there's really no need to use a migration agent or lawyer or purchase a guidebook - for example, if you have been together a long time, have plenty of evidence of your relationship, no dependents, etc. If there is anything complicated with your application, then it would probably be best to reach out to a migration agent for advice first - there are a few who post in this forum regularly. My application was easy, so I did it myself and found all the answers to my questions either on the Immi website, or in this forum.

Good luck!
Thank you for your thorough and helpful response! Our application should be relatively straightforward, and we're both detail-oriented people, but I'll definitely stick around here and read through the threads to assess if there's anything we need to talk to a migration agent about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,
My case was very straight for and genuine. I did my 820/801 and then my citizenship application all by myself and all got approved.
Everything is pretty easy as long as you're organised and you submit everything they request. English is not my first language but I didn't find anything difficult at all. I would just suggest to pay attention to the way you upload documents. I invested in a little scanner and became a master at operating it! I made sure all scanned documents came out very clear and uploaded them in PDFs which seems to be easier for immigration officers to read (at least that what the immigration officer who conducted my citizenship application told me).
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
My case was very straight for and genuine. I did my 820/801 and then my citizenship application all by myself and all got approved.
Everything is pretty easy as long as you're organised and you submit everything they request. English is not my first language but I didn't find anything difficult at all. I would just suggest to pay attention to the way you upload documents. I invested in a little scanner and became a master at operating it! I made sure all scanned documents came out very clear and uploaded them in PDFs which seems to be easier for immigration officers to read (at least that what the immigration officer who conducted my citizenship application told me).
Good luck.
Thank you very much for your response and advice! I'm looking at purchasing a simple monochrome printer/copier/scanner for home usage - anything that needs a color copy or scan I can do at OfficeWorks. :)

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a simple monochrome printer/copier/scanner for home usage - anything that needs a color copy or scan I can do at OfficeWorks. :)
If your mobile phone takes good photos. You could use that for most things.
It is what we used.

Some phones have a scanner app now.

Best to have colour copies of everything to avoid having to have mono copies being certified.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your mobile phone takes good photos. You could use that for most things.
It is what we used.

Some phones have a scanner app now.

Best to have colour copies of everything to avoid having to have mono copies being certified.
That's true - some things will need to be certified regardless of mono or color, though. Registering our relationship required identity documents to be certified regardless! For the actual partner visa application, it doesn't appear much needs to be certified, and the scanner will scan in color and give me a more accurate quality than my phone can provide.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I used an Oppo a57 with a 13MP camera to do all our uploads. No problems with anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts