Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another day 1 question - I have a valid ETA. Is that the same as a Visitor Visa s/c 600?

The reason I ask is, I know when you lodge an application onshore with a visitor visa, you may be granted the BVA. I wonder if it is the same for the ETA?

If we apply onshore while my ETA is still valid, will I also have the possibility of being granted a BVA?

Thanks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
They're not the same, unfortunately.

ETA is subclass 601. It can't be applied for onshore (you must be outside of Australia when you apply and when it's granted) so no bridging visa can be granted.

Visitor visa 600 can be applied for oshore (provided certain conditions are met such as previous visa etc) so a bridging visa can be granted if a decision is not made in time before the current visa expires.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Eh,

If you are planning on lodging a Partner Visa onshore while on a ETA - Visitor Visa and ETA both get Bridging Visa A's.

So yes, you will get the BVA.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ah sorry, I misunderstood the question!

I thought you wanted to apply for a visitor visa onshore!

ampk is right :) if you're applying for another visa FROM an ETA or visitor visa then it's all the same, you'll be eligible for a BV :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eh,

If you are planning on lodging a Partner Visa onshore while on a ETA - Visitor Visa and ETA both get Bridging Visa A's.

So yes, you will get the BVA.
Great. Thanks, Ampk . Appreciate it. Just going over our options at the moment and deciding what's best. Both have their merits.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're not the same, unfortunately.

ETA is subclass 601. It can't be applied for onshore (you must be outside of Australia when you apply and when it's granted) so no bridging visa can be granted.

Visitor visa 600 can be applied for oshore (provided certain conditions are met such as previous visa etc) so a bridging visa can be granted if a decision is not made in time before the current visa expires.
And thanks as well, Ramah! Appreciate the response.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My apologies, I didn't realise you meant apply for a partner visa from ETA or Visitor visa, I gave you advice on applying onshore for an ETA / Visitor Visa :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My apologies, I didn't realise you meant apply for a partner visa from ETA or Visitor visa, I gave you advice on applying onshore for an ETA / Visitor Visa
All good! It ties in with my previous post on how to update my passport number on my ETA.
Is there anyway of doing that online?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You don't get it wrong often Ramah.

The title and question got you - I think.

Keep up the good/great work.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You don't get it wrong often Ramah.

The title and question got you - I think.

Keep up the good/great work.
Thanks, Aaron :)

You're too kind! I misunderstood the question, glad you spotted it and gave the correct response :)

I hope you're well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.