Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

If I am submitting a 457 visa as a de facto partner in next week or so and will be awaiting the result of that (applied out of Australia) if this doesn't come back by Feb I still want to visit my girlfriend then whose already out there. Is it ok to obtain an ETA for visiting - the flights will be booked for return under three months and I'm definitely going back to uk for two months to sort long term career break etc. Or does that effect my 457 application?

Advice gratefully received as I'm looking at booking flights in next few days.

Thanks.
Neil

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
If you get a ETA that will be over ridden by a 457 if approved (or other way around- I am not sure if you need to be offshore for a 457 to be granted?

So check process times and be careful, its not such a simple question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply....Ah ok. So if I went out on an ETA and it got granted whilst there, I'd need to leave and come back to activate it as such?

Would the decision to grant it be adversely influenced by me visiting on an ETA?

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
No just be careful a ETA will override a 457 visa if issued second and 1 minute later!

I don't know about the activation of a 457 - you NEED To KNOW.

But having 2 visas being processed at same time is a very scary thing in many cases. You can screw your life if you get it wrong!

If you have visa "x" issued - then another visa is processed - the second is the visa you have.

So I hope you know a bit about how random visa processing is? to understand your situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

My situation is fairly similar and I was hoping for some answers.

I am a doctor moving over on a sponsored 457 visa. My understanding is that when my medical registration (AHPRA) comes through and I submit this with the visa the processing is very fast: 24-72hours.

I expect my registration to be through in a week or so and so I expect the visa in 2 weeks.

I was thinking of going over on an ETA for the 2 weeks to get settled and wait for the visa to come through to actually start working.

Can anyone advise if this is allowed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hi,

My situation is fairly similar and I was hoping for some answers.

I am a doctor moving over on a sponsored 457 visa. My understanding is that when my medical registration (AHPRA) comes through and I submit this with the visa the processing is very fast: 24-72hours.

I expect my registration to be through in a week or so and so I expect the visa in 2 weeks.

I was thinking of going over on an ETA for the 2 weeks to get settled and wait for the visa to come through to actually start working.

Can anyone advise if this is allowed?

Thanks in advance for the help.
"for applicants outside Australia who want to visit Australia for tourism or business purposes."

From what you've said above I don't think you would be able to say you are a genuine entrant for tourism or business purposes.

Applying for and having an ETA granted whilst another visa application is in progress is not an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Mania!

Do you know what kind of proof is required for an ETA?

I visited friends back in May and I had planned on just saying that I was doing the same.

Ideally I would like to travel with a single air fare ticket so would this add to the problem?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Mania!

Do you know what kind of proof is required for an ETA?

I visited friends back in May and I had planned on just saying that I was doing the same.

Ideally I would like to travel with a single air fare ticket so would this add to the problem?
I don't believe there is much required for an ETA application, passport, credit card & an email address.

If you are coming purely to visit friends and had an itinerary that shows where you intended to go and who you were stying with if asked by immigration at the port of entry and weren't carrying 5 suitcases with all your work documents/journals/gold plated stethoscope :p etc that would suggest you were here to work and stay much longer then 2 weeks I doubt you would get bounced at the port of entry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having said that can you deny someone entry because they have lots of bags? Surely you collect your bags after you've gone through immigration anyway?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Having said that can you deny someone entry because they have lots of bags? Surely you collect your bags after you've gone through immigration anyway?
Denying you for having a lot of bags - no.

Asking your intentions on arrival - deciding to send you to secondary screening, because why not, your palms are sweaty or something - seeing you have a 457 application in progress - collecting your bags and searching them - finding a large quantity of items that you wouldn't associate with a holiday.

Chances of this happening - slim - if it happens could it cause you problems? Yes potentilly.

For the sake of a couple of weeks I would be inclined to wait for the 457.

If I was set on coming in I would probably have a chat with a registered migration agent for professional advice prior to to committing to this course.

Edit* I apologise for my spelling, it's late!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice. You're probably right and it's probably best to just wait it out.

Hard to have the patience sitting at home unemployed and going mad!!!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thanks for the advice. You're probably right and it's probably best to just wait it out.

Hard to have the patience sitting at home unemployed and going mad!!!
Been doing it since July waiting for my visa to be granted - so trust me I know how you feel!!

*edit - good luck & enjoy Australia!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.