Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

So if the relationship is registered under a law of a state or territory prescribed in the Acts Interpretation (Registered Relationships) It appears that you don’t have to prove you have been living together

My prospective partner lives in KL (working there but a Thai National). I met her on my last day in KL (October 2017) and went back to Australia. A few months later I stayed with her for a week in KL(January 2018). A few months (May 2018) later she then came to Australia for 9 days(stayed in my place and also Airbnb Sydney). It was at this stage that I considered her to be the one for me. I am about to visit her again for 3 weeks. So the “living together for 12 months” part could prove troublesome. We have all the other usual evidence. We are soon going to register our relationship in the ACT which I believe negates the need to prove living together for 12 months provision or even evidence that you have been in a relationship for 1 year. Is there a catch?

Thank you.

· Premium Member
10,516 Posts
You still need to provide enough evidence to show that you have been in a de facto relationship. From what you have said you do not have enough evidence as you have lived together very minimal time. You would be better looking at prospective marriage visa.

· Registered
6,928 Posts
It is not a living together requirement but a relationship length requirement (12 months).

From your post I would assume you started your relationship in May this year so call it 3-4 months.

Since that time how have you combined your lives socially, financially and around the every day household?

More importantly what evidence do you have to prove this?

Relationship registration like a marriage certificate actually mean very little on their own.

· Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Under the circumstances you describe, registering the relationship will achieve very little. You may want to wait with that and consider if a prospective marriage visa is a better option.

Maybe get some professional advise on developing a realistic strategy?

Reactions: aussiesteve

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou everyone for your advise. This is my new plan.

After researching the options and letting them swim around in my brain I think I have a clear plan of action. As myself and my partner have only actually spent 2 weeks together (but known each other for 8 months). I don’t think it’s a good idea that we become engaged and set a marriage date whilst pursuing the prospective marriage visa and ending up on the temporary partner visa (820). The other approach is to be in a de facto relationship and apply for the temporary partner visa (from within Australia). However we do not have enough evidence for a de facto relationship yet.

Therefore I think my partner should come here on a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa. Towards the end of this period we apply for the temporary partner visa (820) based on a de facto relationship (easy to prove as we would have been living together for nearly 12 months). Once the visa is lodged she goes on a bridging visa (whilst 820 visa is being processed) and she can work. I think this is a much better way to get to know each other and determine if we are suited to each other. Sound OK?

· Registered
6,928 Posts
. This is my new plan.

Therefore I think my partner should come here on a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa.

Towards the end of this period we apply for the temporary partner visa (820) based on a de facto relationship (easy to prove as we would have been living together for nearly 12 months).

Once the visa is lodged she goes on a bridging visa (whilst 820 visa is being processed) and she can work.

I think this is a much better way to get to know each other and determine if we are suited to each other.

Sound OK?

***A very BOLD move for a 12 month multi entry Visitor Visa - You don't know how these work do you?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
***A very BOLD move for a 12 month multi entry Visitor Visa - You don't know how these work do you?[/QUOTE]

Probably have to leave after 3 months and return later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.