Australia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking for advice
My partner had his PMV granted in December 2020. We have until September to get him into Australia which is looking highly unlikely. Any PMV granted before the 10th December 2020 have been extended to March 2021. Any PMV granted from 21.02.21 have been extended to 15 months. We do not qualify for an extension !!!! as our visa was granted after the 10th December and before 21st Feb. Is anyone one else in this situation?? I have contacted immigration and they cannot give me a reason for this.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
It seems there is a cohort that falls between the various extension arrangements. There was some talk that people would get a refund and could lodge a new sc. 300 application with priority processing, but I have heard no more about it. It may be an idea to contact your local MP ands see if they can get a solution for you.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
As well as the above, i would consider trying for a travel ban exemption, and specifically use the circumstances that you have described, in the reason for the application.

The refund option may not be a good choice by many, unless the 300 has already expired, due to this wording:
If your visa is still in effect, prior to requesting a refund, you must first use your ImmiAccount to request the cancellation of your Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa.

While there is any hope to travel, cancelling the visa does not seem a good option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems there is a cohort that falls between the various extension arrangements. There was some talk that people would get a refund and could lodge a new sc. 300 application with priority processing, but I have heard no more about it. It may be an idea to contact your local MP ands see if they can get a solution for you.
Thanks
Local MP contacted 3 times now , promised to get back to me heard nothing. It's unfair that this cohort are not been given and extension and with no explanation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As well as the above, i would consider trying for a travel ban exemption, and specifically use the circumstances that you have described, in the reason for the application.

The refund option may not be a good choice by many, unless the 300 has already expired, due to this wording:
If your visa is still in effect, prior to requesting a refund, you must first use your ImmiAccount to request the cancellation of your Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa.

While there is any hope to travel, cancelling the visa does not seem a good option.
We've submitted multiple excemptions with no luck. We Can only apply under compassionate and compelling reasons as PMV applicants are not classed as partners. I'm told it's pot luck under this category if you are granted an excemption.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
We've submitted multiple excemptions with no luck. We Can only apply under compassionate and compelling reasons as PMV applicants are not classed as partners. I'm told it's pot luck under this category if you are granted an excemption.
Did you include the reason of being caught in that period between 10th Dec and 21st Feb, and how it affects you?
After all, Immigration have shown 'compassion' for those before 10th Dec and after 21st Feb.

A well worded explanation 'might' get them to show 'compassion' for someone between 10th Dec and 21st Feb, too.

It must be very frustrating to be in that group.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Some figures on PMV travel exemptions etc:

During the 2 months between 1 August 2020 and 27 September 2020, 21 Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa holders were granted travel exemption under the “immediate family of an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident” category.
Less than 5 Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa holders were granted a discretionary exemption on compassionate and compelling grounds.

However, between 17 March 2020 and 27 September 2020, 51 Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa holders had their visas expire without being able to travel to Australia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you include the reason of being caught in that period between 10th Dec and 21st Feb, and how it affects you?
After all, Immigration have shown 'compassion' for those before 10th Dec and after 21st Feb.

A well worded explanation 'might' get them to show 'compassion' for someone between 10th Dec and 21st Feb, too.

It must be very frustrating to be in that group.
We haven't but will definitely try it. Thankyou
Some figures on PMV travel exemptions etc:

During the 2 months between 1 August 2020 and 27 September 2020, 21 Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa holders were granted travel exemption under the “immediate family of an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident” category.
Less than 5 Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa holders were granted a discretionary exemption on compassionate and compelling grounds.

However, between 17 March 2020 and 27 September 2020, 51 Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa holders had their visas expire without being able to travel to Australia.
It's so unethical and inhumane. My partner is British, we've known each other 38 years. Visas granted are normally processed through the Australian Embassy in London. Interestingly ours was granted from Berlin!!! We were granted the visa less than 12 months after submitting it. We thought this was odd but we're so pleased to get it didn't question further. Wonder if they were pushing PMV through knowing there was a strong possibility they would expire before the pandemic ended??

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
We haven't but will definitely try it. Thankyou

It's so unethical and inhumane. My partner is British, we've known each other 38 years. Visas granted are normally processed through the Australian Embassy in London. Interestingly ours was granted from Berlin!!! We were granted the visa less than 12 months after submitting it. We thought this was odd but we're so pleased to get it didn't question further. Wonder if they were pushing PMV through knowing there was a strong possibility they would expire before the pandemic ended??
I noticed that Berlin was processing visas very fast, not that long ago. Many other countries were not processing the 300s at all. Waiting until restrictions eased.

If you have known each other for 38 years, depending on your exact relationship situation, a migration agent might be better able to word a travel exemption to get it through the more common "immediate family of an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident” category for subclass 300 exemptions.

Reactions: MC72

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed that Berlin was processing visas very fast, not that long ago. Many other countries were not processing the 300s at all. Waiting until restrictions eased.

If you have known each other for 38 years, depending on your exact relationship situation, a migration agent might be better able to word a travel exemption to get it through the more common "immediate family of an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident” category for subclass 300 exemptions.
Hi
Just out of interest , how did you know about Berlin issuing Visas so quickly? Is there info on the web that shows these stats?? Thanks

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Hi
Just out of interest , how did you know about Berlin issuing Visas so quickly? Is there info on the web that shows these stats?? Thanks
Just by reading the forums and seeing peoples grants and times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts