Australia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have PR 190 and my wife and small child are also on this visa. I was the primary applicant and they are my dependants. I am eligible to go ahead with citizenship in a year as I have been to Oz for about 5 years now. My wife has been only here for 1.5 year and she is not that keen on the Australian citizenship either as she would have had to give up her current passport (some countries do not allow dual citizenship).

Question: if I apply for the citizenship and put forward myself and the child on the application, will my wife be able to uphold the PR visa or will she loose it?

Also, if I get the citizenship after 1 year from the grant of 190, am I free to leave the state that sponsored my 190? Normally, they expect one to stick for 2 years within the sponsoring state on the 190 visa.

Cheers,
P

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Your wife's PR visa is not impacted by anything you do. You can become a citizen as can your children, and she will retain her PR visa. She will need to get a Resident Return Visa if she wishes to travel overseas when the 5 year travel facility on her PR visa expires, but otherwise there's no difficulty in her remaining a PR holder indefinitely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts