Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

family sponsored 600 turnaround time

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  eagerbeaver 
#1 ·
Hi All

I applied for a family sponsored tourist visa for my sisters, both under 18, to come over for christmas.

I was really hoping for a quick turnaround time so I purchased the tickets already.

It has been 4 weeks. They are due to fly out next week and I am getting really nervous.

Both from Zimbabwe. I have previously had my mother over twice on general tourist visa, with no issues.

Has anyone applied recently? Any encouraging stories?

#4 ·
They thought that visiting their sister who they haven't seen for two years over Christmas in Australia wasn't a genuine reason enough.

Also that being enrolled in school next year with evidence of paid fees wasn't grounds for evidence for proof of return.

It was a timely response at least.
I am devastated

#7 ·
They just believed they weren't.
They never asked for more evidence.
Or asked for a bond.

Something to the effect of being young they aren't able to comply with visa conditions. Also that they weren't travelling with a parent ( this made no sense to me).
And thirdly they didn't believe enrollment in school wasnt evidence enough to return back home. ( no mention of their parents, their friends, their entire life). The CO literally said they could just enrol in an Australian School.

As what exactly?

I have lost 5 grand in ticket fares. I am.not sure what appealing will do now.

They were supposed to come for these school holidays. I took time off work.

First family Christmas in a while seeing as I haven't been home for over 2 years and at least 4 years during Christmas time.

I'm just devastated.
If this young and female thing is a rule I wish the department would just state it plainly and I wouldn't have bothered.

#8 ·
I dont think it is a rule, and i have no doubt they were genuine visitors however immigration will weigh up because they are travelling alone that they pose a risk of overstaying their visa.
If they had applied with a parent to travel with same parent they would probably be deemed no risk and have the visa granted.
DIBP is a fickle beast with any visa, i still strongly suggest next time you want them to travel get a migration agent to assist with your application, they may be able to put forward an application that has a far better chance of being approved.

On a side note, when buying air tickets and you don't have a confirmed visa i highly recommend you buy "flexi" tickets, in the short term they will cost you more, but in circumstances like this you can cancel them and get your money back in full or minus a minor penalty instead of losing the full fare which is what happens when you buy the cheapest most inflexible tickets.

#9 · (Edited)
Unfortunately DIBP do state not to purchase the ticket until the visa is approved.

Getting tourist visa's from Africa is not an easy task.

DIBP also aren't required to ask for additional evidence before making the decision.

I know how you feel I have been through having tourist visa's rejected and sometimes it feels like they just try to make up reasons.

#10 ·
I know I shouldnt have bought the tickets prior.

My mother has had two successful tourist visas in the last 2 years with no issue. Her reasons were to simply visit me. Came out within a fortnight of applying.

I just thought it would just be straightforward.

I would think if minors came with a parent then they would have no reason to return home to their parents thus they are more likely to overstay their visas. I dont understand the departments rationale. How do two girls under 18 with no means of income under the care of their very adult sister ( 3 visas over 10 years, never broke visa conditions, is gainfully employed in a respectable profession) how the heck are they just overstaying? and "transferring" to australian schools under what visa? how do they access medical services? Is this a thing that happens that underage girls just come to Australia and make their own way under the governments radar?

I am schocked to say the least and I am saddened that by virtue of being from a "high risk country"that they really must have the most awful life and at the drop of a hat be willing to leave their friends, their family, hobbies to just live in australia illegally?

Also when has needing a migration agent become standard? I thought if you provided all needed evidence ( and Honestly I tried my very best and filled ALL the recommended requirements and then some, ticked every box on visa checklist. and still came up short? why?

I have lived and worked in this country for 10 years. I have paid my taxes. I have never broken a law, never even had a parking ticket. Decided to be with an Australian and raise a family. Made the hard decision to leave my home country forever and make australia my home. After all this it will never be enough. I will NEVER be enough. Because go forbid after working hard all year and realising I wouldnt have enough annual leave or ticket money to fly my young family to Zimbabwe. I make th agonisisng decision to "pick" two family members to fly over for christmas. So maybe I too like millions of people around the country be surrounded by my family at christmas time.

Does the department really think that people like me dont exist. that I might even follow the rules and let my sisters go back in time and as per the tickets I have now bought and lost.

I know this is a pointless rant. I just needed to get it out.

I know there many many people on this forum seperated from spouses and children and other loved ones who have an agonising wait. So no offence to them and their struggle.

#11 ·
From what I have been told the parents usually get approved as they have more chance of going home.

I know of someone that had 4 family members apply for tourist visa's to Australia for a wedding (their son/brother/nephew) the mother got approved but the 2 brothers and uncle got rejected.

Australia does have alot of overstayers so they need to try and prevent this. I know what it is like when you can't figure out what went wrong and you have no intention of being an overstayer.

The thing I don't understand with yours is if they think they will overstay why not put a bond payable to solve that problem since it is a family sponsored? Put a bond of $10,000 each ot whatever. I am not sure why they wouldn't do that - is that what family sponsored is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.