Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Australian by birth, I've lived in the UK since 1999, married a British guy in 2009. I'm disabled, so he is my full time carer. He also works full time. I never expected to have a family of my own, but last year we were blessed with the birth of our baby boy, who is now seven months old. My husband has no family left in the UK. My parents came over for the birth and stayed the first six weeks, then realised how much we were struggling to cope, especially with my disability, so they came back over a month later for another six weeks. But they can't live here permanently. We have to move out to Australia, we need the help of my family to bring this boy up, we can't do it without them. We've just started putting our partner visa application together and I've only just seen the recent amended timeline for UK partner visa applications - 10 to 14 months - this is desperate. So my question is: is anyone aware of any sort of fast tracking of the application process for people with disabilities or extenuating circumstances, especially with the welfare of a child involved?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, you are unlikely to receive your grant any faster. However your partner would be eligible for PR straight away which is good news.

Have you considered having your partner come to Australia on a visitor visa, and if you find you are happy there, applying for a partner visa onshore? Your parter would receive a BVA which is a bridging visa that he would be on with full work rights until his partner visa came through in 12-15 months (the current onshore waiting time). This would allow you to go to Australia sooner rather than later.

Reactions: CollegeGirl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bridging visa

Hi,

Thanks so much for the response. My husband has been out to OZ on numerous trips together so we know that we wish to stay and it is also a necessity that we stay. Can you apply for the partner visa here and then go out on a visitors visa? Also is it official that the London Australia house is taking 10 - 14 months to process partner visa? What is most people's experience on a bridging visa, is it difficult to get work? I appreciate all the replies. thanks

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I understand, I worded the paragraph the way I did because technically you aren't meant to go to Australia with the intent of applying for another visa onshore.

Yes you can apply in London and then go over on a visitor visa but your husband would not be able to work at all.

So long as your husband doesn't mind what kind of work he is doing he shouldn't have any issues finding work. People tend to struggle if they plan to go from the UK to Australia with the intention of carrying on their career where they left off from the UK. The bridging visa is available only if he applies from within Australia.

And yes - the processing time for London is 10-14 months. It has recently increased to this from 6- 9 months.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
And people who applied when the quoted time period was nine months are getting theirs pretty much exactly at 9 months... 9 months and 2 days, 9 months and 3 days, etc. I would not expect yours any sooner, UNLESS (like Mark said to you) they can be convinced to take your disability into account in processing speed, which would be unusual and amazing. Definitely worth a try, though. It certainly wouldn't slow things down. :) Best wishes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.