Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. My partner is from Texas, and for her Partner Visa (subclass 820/801) application, she applied for her Identity History Summary Check through the FBI on September 26. The FBI's website states that mailed checks take 14 to 16 weeks to process; tomorrow is the 16 week mark.

However, given the current government shutdown situation in the US, will that shutdown affect this time span? If so, how much longer should we expect her Summary Check to take? Is there a number that we can call to check which applications they are processing at the moment?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I have no idea if those wait times are currently affected.

But while she's waiting, does she need the state checks too? In the 12 months preceding the date of her application, had she spent at least three months in any state in the U.S.? If so, she'll need state checks as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea if those wait times are currently affected.

But while she's waiting, does she need the state checks too? In the 12 months preceding the date of her application, had she spent at least three months in any state in the U.S.? If so, she'll need state checks as well.
Taking a look at the page for the 820/801 visa, it says to provide "an overseas police certificate from every country, including your home country, where you spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since you turned 16". I can't see anything about a state check.

Besides, if it is required, she moved here on May 21, 2018 on a Work and Holiday visa. We plan to apply and pay for her Partner visa application early- to mid-March. That then wouldn't meet the three-month threshold, would it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi all. My partner is from Texas, and for her Partner Visa (subclass 820/801) application, she applied for her Identity History Summary Check through the FBI on September 26. The FBI's website states that mailed checks take 14 to 16 weeks to process; tomorrow is the 16 week mark.

However, given the current government shutdown situation in the US, will that shutdown affect this time span? If so, how much longer should we expect her Summary Check to take? Is there a number that we can call to check which applications they are processing at the moment?

Thanks!
If you go through an approved channeler, it can be as quick as within an hour or so for the FBI check. State checks are often only mailed and take a week or two in most states.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you go through an approved channeler, it can be as quick as within an hour or so for the FBI check. State checks are often only mailed and take a week or two in most states.
Yes, but we did it through the mail for the FBI Check, as recommended elsewhere, and it's not a state check, that's why I'm wondering how long this check will take, given the shutdown.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Taking a look at the page for the 820/801 visa, it says to provide "an overseas police certificate from every country, including your home country, where you spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since you turned 16". I can't see anything about a state check.

Besides, if it is required, she moved here on May 21, 2018 on a Work and Holiday visa. We plan to apply and pay for her Partner visa application early- to mid-March. That then wouldn't meet the three-month threshold, would it?
You have to click those links for more information. If you clicked the words "overseas police certificate from every country" and then "office outside of Australia" you'd be able to choose the U.S. from the drop down menu and see exact instructions. "'FBI Identity History Summary' issued by the FBI or an approved channeler and a State Police Clearance for each State in which you have lived for at least 3 months for the last 12 months." Probably doesn't apply to you, but I always mention it as the majority of U.S. applicants on here don't realize that state checks may apply to them. And there's no harm in mentioning it anyway even if it doesn't apply to your partner as other people are reading this and can then be aware of it.

Like already mentioned, an approved channeler could have gotten the results anywhere from 1-7 days on average and even the FBI now offers quick service for digital applications.

But at least it goes in your favor that the 12 month validity of the check is from the date listed on it, so with 820 wait times being as long as they are, probably better that the FBI check is taking a while.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, but we did it through the mail for the FBI Check, as recommended elsewhere, and it's not a state check, that's why I'm wondering how long this check will take, given the shutdown.
There is probably no way to gauge how long the delay will be, but it apparently is affecting matters that take priority to police checks, so I'd prepare for a wait. Even if the shutdown is lifted, there will be a backlog to clear. Trump stated the shutdown could last for months if not years...and his base is still enamored by him.....

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-shutdown-threatens-national-security/580039/

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are requesting a copy, want to challenge, or are just checking on the status of a request regarding an Identity History Summary Check, please contact the FBI's Criminal Justice Services Division (CJIS), Clarksburg, West Virginia at 304-625-5590 or 2000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have just completed the same process for my husband. We used an approved channeller to save time. I would consider doing that, as who knows how much longer it may take via the FBI with the shutdown.

& do order the relevant State Police Check too. They will request it. Seems stupid, considering the FBI check should show all convictions...but whatever. My husbands NY police check could supposedly only be sent to a US address (which was fine, because we were there for Christmas anyway), so you may need to give a family members US address & have them forward it to you in Au.

Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can just do it online and get it in 3 days.I'm not a US citizen or resident so i couldnt use a channeler but I requested my FBI check online and had no problems with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for suggesting a chaneller, but we have already sent it to the FBI with her fingerprints, so there's no point in paying for a second set (AU$130 here!) and getting a second identical report.

I'll definitely look into the state check, and thanks Angelos29 for the number, that's precisely what I was looking for!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.