Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I have no idea if those wait times are currently affected.

But while she's waiting, does she need the state checks too? In the 12 months preceding the date of her application, had she spent at least three months in any state in the U.S.? If so, she'll need state checks as well.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Taking a look at the page for the 820/801 visa, it says to provide "an overseas police certificate from every country, including your home country, where you spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since you turned 16". I can't see anything about a state check.

Besides, if it is required, she moved here on May 21, 2018 on a Work and Holiday visa. We plan to apply and pay for her Partner visa application early- to mid-March. That then wouldn't meet the three-month threshold, would it?
You have to click those links for more information. If you clicked the words "overseas police certificate from every country" and then "office outside of Australia" you'd be able to choose the U.S. from the drop down menu and see exact instructions. "'FBI Identity History Summary' issued by the FBI or an approved channeler and a State Police Clearance for each State in which you have lived for at least 3 months for the last 12 months." Probably doesn't apply to you, but I always mention it as the majority of U.S. applicants on here don't realize that state checks may apply to them. And there's no harm in mentioning it anyway even if it doesn't apply to your partner as other people are reading this and can then be aware of it.

Like already mentioned, an approved channeler could have gotten the results anywhere from 1-7 days on average and even the FBI now offers quick service for digital applications.

But at least it goes in your favor that the 12 month validity of the check is from the date listed on it, so with 820 wait times being as long as they are, probably better that the FBI check is taking a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.