People who move to Australia have the opportunity to explore the country more than they could during a holiday and one unique event has been extended so that more people can experience it.

Uluru, formerly known as Ayers Rock, is on everyone's bucket list and currently an artistic light installation has been drawing the crowds. British artist Bruce Munro's immersive field of light installation has been so popular that it will now continue until March 2018 to allow more people to see it.

Field of LightThe award winning exhibition, at the Ayers Rock Resort in the spiritual heart of Australia, opened to critical acclaim in April and has exceeded all expectations with 100,000 seeing it already.

It symbolises the breadth of possibilities available that are not always known outside of Australia and tourism chiefs hope it will attract people who have recently arrived in the country to explore what is there as well as those visiting.

The exhibition is known locally as Tili Wiru Tjuta Nyakutjaku or looking at lots of beautiful lights and uses more than 50,000 slender stems with radiant frosted glass spheres over an area the size of four football fields.

It is also the artist's first work to be illuminated entirely through solar power. The spheres, connected via illuminated optical fibre, bloom as darkness falls and has been described as one of the most amazing exhibitions in Australia today.

It's proven to be a real drawcard for domestic and international visitors, and with the extensive and deserved global exposure it's received this year, I have little doubt that a second season will be hugely successful,' said Tourism Australia's chief executive officer John O'Sullivan.

Munro explained that he was inspired by the idea of a landscape of illuminated stems that, 'like dormant seeds in a dry desert, quietly wait until darkness falls, under a blazing blanket of southern stars, to bloom with gentle rhythms of light' during a visit to Uluru in 1992.

'I came out here 24 years ago. We were doing a road trip in an old Toyota, our swansong after eight years in Australia. My Sydney friends kept on saying go to Uluru, but of course none of them had actually been. When I got here, it changed my life. I jotted this idea down in my sketchbook and didn't think it would see the light of day,' he said.

Munro consulted extensively with the local indigenous people, the Anangu, before going ahead with the project. He added that he has been moved and humbled by the enormous response to the artwork and believes that the ancient rocks of Uluru add to the magical quality of the light.

The story behind its creation is also fascinating. The stems weigh approximately 15 tonnes and they were transported more than 19,000 kilometres over 32 international and domestic flights to Australia, the farthest a piece of Munro's artwork has travelled to an exhibition.