Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is an australian citizen. He is not wealthy, he has recieved centerlink payments since he was old enough to, up until Feb, 14 2009 when he came to the USA with me. We have a child together, and want to live in Australia. By the time we are ready to migrate, I will have a Bachelor's Science of Nursing and $30,000 USD saved up. I know we will need an AOS or something, but we dont know anyone who makes the required amount. Could we banke garauntee like ten thousand dollars and be okay? I dont know what to expect. Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Lacie

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
HI Carrod,

There have been a couple of other posts about the same issue within the past couple of days, so maybe you should take a look at them if you haven't already.

The sponsor needs to show funds above the 'threshold' for the last 2 financial year. That 'threshold' is based on the Newstart allowance, which is a kind of unemployment benifit in Oz. The annual rate changes from year to year, but apparently it's around $25 000 at the moment according to one of the other posts. The sponsor may also need to pay a refundable deposit of $5000, which is given back after the 2 years, minus any social security payments that the applicant may have received in the 2 years. The funds needed increases with dependent children and other family members.

If you don't have enough funds, or anyone that you know, you can do a joint AoS, if one is asked of you. This means up to 3 people can pool resources to make the 'threshold' and provide the deposit if asked to. I think you should look at the Centre link site, or the DIAC site for the AoS fact sheet. I put a link on one of the threads I mentioned earlier.

Don't get too worried. If DIAC thinks it is needed, they will ask for an AoS during the processing of the visa. It's OK to plan for it now, but you won't know for sure if you need one until you get the letter from DIAC.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If he were to make that much money in another country, would that qualify?
As aussiegirl has indicated Lacie, it'll not be for sure that you'll need an AoS.
Immi will look at the total picture of what your joint financial situation is, your qualifications and any work that hub has been doing in the US and not just his prior SS situation.

If an AoS is required then CentreLink as aussiegirl a;lso mentions will look at that and I've had an inference given to me on one occasion that the system is quite lenient and often no surety deposit required.

With your asking of someone making money in another country, as for a person being an assurer if they're resident in Australia it'll not matter too much where money is earnt as long as it is verifiable, legally earnt and taxable etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.