Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am in situation where was going to apply for offshore visa for long term girlfriend now and move to Australia in august 2014. We been living together 2 years 3months at the moment. I am now toying with waiting until we been living together 3 years then applying onshore in the attempt to get her immediate pr . From reading this post it may be worth it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am also facing same problem to find a job under spouse visa (subclass 309). Not even considering my application or getting an interview. Does anyone had any luck in getting a job in Aus under spouse visa ??

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am not sure but doesn't there need to be a really valid reason for a visa to just be cancelled out of the blue? Wouldn't someone have to break the (immigration/labour or otherwise) law? Or shouldn't there at least be severe circumstances? Because to be fair anyone could get arrested at any time for any crime and that can also terminate their employment.
Yes but it does not change much. All these visas (student, sponsorship 457 etc) are temporary. You don't even need to get them cancelled - they just expire and upon their expiry the employee needs to either apply for a new one or go back home.

From employer's perspective it does not really matter what an employee needs to do to get their visa cancelled. What counts is that it is temporary - not permanent. Hence the increased risk levels.

just my thoughts and after 3 months of looking and hearing "your visa is not what we are looking for" it is becoming personal and depressing... feeling very depressed.......
Don't look for jobs labeled as "full time" or "poart time" - they are unreachable unless you are a PR or a citizen. Apply for "Casual" or "temporary", possibly "contract" - this is where your chance is. You will avoid frustration which I also went through when I moved to Australia and got rejected numerous times for almost 6 months due to being a student visa holder.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I get the idea from this thread that the difficulty to find a job is about employers worrying about you possibly leaving, and so is mostly for those on the temporary partner visa, and that once you have the permanent visa you will have an equal chance- am I correct?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am currently in Australia and have been applying for jobs. I am a bit confused: As a current 820 holder, I'm considered as a "TR" correct? How do I respond to enquires of "Citizen/PR vs current work/student visa" 820 doesn't fall into either category?

Also many of the application forms require me to input the visa expiry date, for the 820 it is indefinite (until a decision as been reached on the outstanding application for Partner visa). So what to do in that situation?

Also should I be using my name as listed in Passport/visa grant letter - even through I now go by my married name? I still don't know how or why the Immigration office hasn't changed/updated my last name, even through I provided evidence of the name change (on marriage certificate).

Insight/help appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i was in a similar position and found that only smaller companies will be willing to take you in. It is rather ridiculous given that they don't look further beyond your visa label when considering.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lemme tell you..reading all thats been said on this thread is certainly making me nervous..
Im a 309 holder and will be moving to Melb later this July. I have actually started to look for jobs eversince i got the grant in March. I looked on seek.com n many others..i wanted to know what are available out there.
I was working on a residential building management and i also have experience in hotel industry and im multilingual.
So obviously i looked on those area..what i found was that often the title of the job you know is not exactly the same as what they are in Aus. And that could be misleading and frustrating. So i tried to look up other areas and really looked at the role of the job instead of the title.
In short, im really looking forward now to tackle those jobs ive shortlisted and send out my resumes, which also need tweaking to customize the market in Aus.
Does anyone have any advice on signing up to an agency, temp agency, or would you suggest on getting it done yourselves?
Thank you for this and good luck to us all !!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am still looking for work. Looked when I had my bridging visa with work rights and it was thank you but your visa is not what we are looking for . Now I have my 820 visa ( had since Nov 2012)and I have put in apps for anything in retail. I have 10 years with a large company in the USA. I have had so many rejection letters that I just cant take another one. A year and a half of looking and putting in apps. :( Looking for work in hard. I am so ready to just give up and move back to the USA.( I know my old company would hire me back in a heartbeat). I just dont get it. I am depressed and dont want to read anymore employment ads. One more rejection letter will send me over the edge and packing. I am tired and frustrated.

·
Registered
176 Posts
what i found was that often the title of the job you know is not exactly the same as what they are in Aus. And that could be misleading and frustrating. So i tried to look up other areas and really looked at the role of the job instead of the title.
I found exactly the same, you're right, the job titles are not like the UK either. My advice would be the same, read every job description.

Does anyone have any advice on signing up to an agency, temp agency, or would you suggest on getting it done yourselves?
I can't remember if I read this somewhere in this forum, but someone advised to call the recruitment consultant / company before hand. I have done this and I have found this to be very helpful, as it allows you to build rapport, which a CV doesn't do.

Another suggestion is to offer in your cover letter an initial Skype interview if you are not yet in Australia and remember to say that you have TR / PR!

If anyone wants help with CV's PM me. If you are finding it hard, just remember everything you went through and the wait of getting your visa in the first place - if you got through that, you can get through this and find something - good luck! :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am still looking for work since last month. Although I have been hired but the problems are the areas too far from Werribee. Anyway, it might appear that the visa type plays a major role when being hired for work.

I am using seek.com to find positions but most of them are so technical that you cannot measure up with the permanent residents. But we are now in Australia, I dont think God will put us in if we will not succeed in this country. Don't lose hope and it will be over soon!

Cheers,

AngeliquePrince

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have the right skills, visa status will be the last thing the employer will look at. Most of the jobs that I have interviewed for only asked about my visa status at the very end of the interview. I am on a TR partner visa by the way

·
Registered
62 Posts
dont give up...

Hei y'all..wanted to update on work stuff..i am working at the moment, part time, mon to thu..now the way i got this job is also thanks to my partner..i sort of tag along with him when he was on visit to one of his client and then introduced me etc and then it sort of rolled from there..the pay isnt too bad either..i was worried at first n sort of put out by all the stories here but everything workout at the end...so the moral of the story is do not give up...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am still looking for work since last month. Although I have been hired but the problems are the areas too far from Werribee. Anyway, it might appear that the visa type plays a major role when being hired for work.

I am using seek.com to find positions but most of them are so technical that you cannot measure up with the permanent residents. But we are now in Australia, I dont think God will put us in if we will not succeed in this country. Don't lose hope and it will be over soon!

Cheers,

AngeliquePrince
I also look for Finance and Accounting job in Geelong or Melbourne CBD. I just study CPA. Hope that another door will open. If someone has recruitment related to Finance and Accounting, please send me.Thanks

Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same issue

Hi Roshini,

Have you been lucky in job hunting since Aug 2013?
I have the same problem as i am on a spouse bridging visa.
I sent in resumes; part time and fulltime jobs, but no reply at all.
It's sad, isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
Hi Everyone,
About to lose hope after 5 months of looking for an IT job in SEEK, but thankfully, I finally got an offer here in Melbourne and will be starting next week.

Sent my resume to almost a hundred postings, received a dozen callbacks, and just a couple of interviews. IT job market might be on a downturn but perseverance (and ironically, a good amount of luck) will prevail.

41 - 60 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.