Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Canada!
I am Australian citizen and Canadian permanent resident, sponsoring my Canadian wife of 9 years via 309/100 PMV, submitted July 4th 2018. We front loaded medicals and police checks in the hope of providing a "decision ready" application and not surprisingly, haven't heard a peep from them as yet.
We intend to also bring our dog with us once approved and this requires 6 months of veterinary preparation on a stringent timeline, with a very short window to travel once successfully completed. Obviously we cannot begin this process for the dog until we are approved by immigration, but as time rolls on, our concern is that our entry date (as determined by medicals and police check expiration's) will clash with the time required to prepare the dog for import and this leads to our question here today!
Can an applicant re submit new medicals and police checks to gain an extension on the entry date prior to approval (seems logical) and further, can we make a request to our CO, to re submit these and extend our entry date once approved and a landing date has been specified?
Thanks folks and cheers for an awesome forum!
C & C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,917 Posts
I'm not sure but since no one has responded, I'll give you my thoughts and personal opinion as a non-professional.

I don't think you can redo the medical without being requested again by a CO. Maybe someone with experience here can chime in on it.

You could renew one of the police checks and hope it pushes the entry date out. That's a small cost even if it doesn't work.

Other option and probably not the one you're looking forward to is that the applicant flies to Australia and goes straight back home, then moves when ready. Just needs to enter Oz by the entry date, no need to move by then. Though it's expensive to get flights just there and back for that purpose.

Are you doing all the paperwork to bring the dog over yourself or using a company? I used a company that offered door-to-door service so it was handled on their end. I ended up going to Oz a couple months ahead of time and was able to board my dog at the vet and the company worked it all out with them to get everything done then we reunited with the dog here. Obviously boarding would be expensive but the same thing could be accomplished if you have family or friends willing to take the dog on for a bit if necessary, and just take them to the appointments when needed.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Skybluebrewer,
We've considered the wife (and daughter actually) flying out and satisfying the landing date, but the expense was why re-doing medicals and police checks would be a more economical option were it possible. We have the paperwork and timeline to do the dog ourselves, but also considered a company to handle it, which winds up being around the same cost as the girls air airfares would be and that's just the shipping and handling aspect (he's a retriever sized dog). Which company did you use if you don't mind specifying? Some of the horror stories about dogs and air travel are a worry, making an experienced company quite attractive.
Our current thought, given that we are already 6 months post-submission with a strong application, is to start the dog now and then I will travel over in six months when the dog ships. Although not a safe bet, it is likely that immi will have provided an answer for the girls by then or at least, shortly thereafter. :rolleyes:
(edit) hahaha, that last line made me laugh as I read it over!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,917 Posts
We used Pet Carriers International and it was pretty breezy, though expensive (as you've already researched!).

The RNAT test is valid for 24 months (must be valid at time of export), so that gives you a bit more time to play with because you can get that done now. This way you can get the process started earlier and be a bit more ready if it's last minute. I think you can do some of it as you go and the stuff towards the last month needed to be done within certain time frames of export so you may only really need a month or two of time to enter Oz.

I don't recall the RNAT being very expensive (Canada prices may be different. Want to say I paid just over $100 in the U.S. but this was years ago) so worst case if still no visa in a year and a half, you can always do the RNAT again to reset the clock on that.

I had some delays getting the RNAT done as the microchip my dog had wasn't a compatible one so that had to be redone, then the vaccinations had to be redone as they needed to be tied to the new microchip (which sucked because just the year prior I paid for the pricey 3 year vaccination!). Then I had to wait a bit to do the RNAT (maybe a couple weeks? But I don't remember exactly). So that's just something else to think about as you can get that sorted now too (making sure you have a compatible chip and the vaccination records are tied to it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,917 Posts
Yeah, if I were you I'd definitely do the RNAT a.s.a.p. though. Though it's possible the visa could take over 24 months it's not likely, especially from Canada, and you're already 6 months in.

Hope the timing all works out for you and best of luck :)
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top