Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

The time is approaching quickly, just under 60 days before my wife and I enter Australia. I've already printed off my grant letter as a just in case to show immigration on our way in. There's a few other lingering questions I had.

* Prior to arriving in Australia, do I need to let the Department know that we are leaving Canada to enter Australia?

* Upon arriving in Australia, I will need to let the Department know that our address is now an Australian address, not the one we have on our application. I assume that this can be done through a change of circumstance notice through our immi account or form 929? Should this be done before we leave, or when we arrive in Australia? In our application we included a stat dec from my mother in law stating she was putting us up until we get on our feet and set up, so that's where we will be staying.

If there is anything I'm missing or have overlooked, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
On Q1: no you don’t need to inform them
On Q2: through your IMMI account when you get here is fine

Seems like you have things covered.

Paul Hand
MARN 1801974

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On Q1: no you don't need to inform them
On Q2: through your IMMI account when you get here is fine

Seems like you have things covered.

Paul Hand
MARN 1801974
Great! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
When I made my first entry into Australia as a PR I was a bit disappointed at how casual it all was. No official welcome, just: “ G’Day mate, welcome to Australia” and off I went. No need to register anywhere or tell anyone what you’re doing. No demands from the government to do this or that. It’s quite nice actually!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
When I made my first entry into Australia as a PR I was a bit disappointed at how casual it all was. No official welcome, just: " G'Day mate, welcome to Australia" and off I went. No need to register anywhere or tell anyone what you're doing. No demands from the government to do this or that. It's quite nice actually!
This was me entering on the 300. Border agent didn't even say a word to me! Had a small chit chat with my partner about how weird the spelling of the town he lived was and that was it. In my mind, it was this big event relocating across the world haha.

For eh?, I didn't mention anything, just walked in and checked VEVO after. Good idea to keep a hard copy of the visa with your passport as backup. I've needed one before when the airline couldn't pull up my visa details and wouldn't check me in. Even though the application is finalised, you can still update your contact details in immi. Do it when you get here... takes all of 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
When I made my first entry into Australia as a PR I was a bit disappointed at how casual it all was. No official welcome, just: " G'Day mate, welcome to Australia" and off I went. No need to register anywhere or tell anyone what you're doing. No demands from the government to do this or that. It's quite nice actually!
Yep - absolutely. All very laid back, especially as it feels like such a big deal ticking the 'Migrating to Australia permanently' box on the landing card.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My partner is already nervous about facing the boys of the Border Security TV show!

I told her it's not really as tough as it looks on the reality show, but I'm not sure that she believes me!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha. That sounds very Australian. Understated and to the point. That's sort of what I'm expecting.

Yep - absolutely. All very laid back, especially as it feels like such a big deal ticking the 'Migrating to Australia permanently' box on the landing card.
Big deal for those arriving, for those checking the landing card, another day at the office!

For eh?, I didn't mention anything, just walked in and checked VEVO after. Good idea to keep a hard copy of the visa with your passport as backup. I've needed one before when the airline couldn't pull up my visa details and wouldn't check me in. Even though the application is finalised, you can still update your contact details in immi. Do it when you get here... takes all of 30 seconds.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'll take it with on my carry on and have it ready if they need it and update our living situation and address once we get to my mother in laws.

I'm looking forward to it, but I expect it to be quite casual, in and out. Last year when we went we had to wait a solid hour and half in line before getting our bags. My old passport wasn't an electronic passport so we had to go through the slow line as opposed to the express. This time around, new e-passport in hand, it should be quite quick.

Though, I will say that when we were stuck in line, there was a wonderful team handing out bottles of water and checking our landing cards to speed things up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It’s all automated now. You go through a kiosk, they do a facial scan and if all is good you don’t even speak to a border agent. (I arrived in Brisbane) I collected my luggage, cleared customs and was out the door in less than 30 minutes!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's all automated now. You go through a kiosk, they do a facial scan and if all is good you don't even speak to a border agent. (I arrived in Brisbane) I collected my luggage, cleared customs and was out the door in less than 30 minutes!
Excellent. I'm glad I got a new passport prior to lodging our application. My last passport was due to expire (which it would have already) and it was an old passport without that fantastic little camera on the cover of it.

We ended up in line for ages, but like I said, the staff at BNE were fantastic, handing out waters and checking landing cards through the line to speed things up. All this happened while I watched others walk through the express lane with ease.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, another couple questions for those who have made the move or are making the move.

TFN - Did you apply before arriving or after arriving?

Drivers License - From what I understand, I can't get a QLD drivers license until I reside there for three months, but can drive on my Canadian drivers license during that time.

ID - In relation to the drivers license, I will need ID that has my Australian address, does an 18+ card suffice?

Last name change - Not for me, but for my wife. The process seems rather difficult, or at least it does from what we've read. How does she (sponsor, AU citizen) go about it? Go to BDM w/ our marriage certificate, apply to change her name, then go to QLD transport, change her name there, then her passport etc etc? This is probably the most confusing.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Drivers License - From what I understand, I can't get a QLD drivers license until I reside there for three months, but can drive on my Canadian drivers license during that time.
You will need to apply for a Queensland driver licence if you have been residing in Queensland for 3 months, on PR visa.
I am pretty sure you can apply immediately, as it must be done before the 3 months is up.

You can use an overseas licence for as long as you are on a valid temporary visa.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
You can transfer a Canadian licence to an Australian one with no tests, basically as soon as you arrive, and have some proof of a Queensland address.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.