Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I'm looking to get some help with a very stressful situation, I will try and provide as much information as I possibly can. I am about to finish my 2nd year working holiday visa at the beginning of September and I am in a Defacto relationship with an Australian Citizen. We will be applying for the offshore partner visa from the UK in the October as we are spending the processing time abroad.

It is my partners University Graduation towards the end of September along with a few other key events which she would really like me to be here for if it's possible. As I applied for my 2nd WHV whilst inside Australia, a $700 subsequent temporary visa charge is added if i apply for a tourist visa whilst inside Australia, totalling a 3 week tourist visa to over $1000. I'm considering the option of booking a return flight to NZ for 3 day, applying for an ETA from there and then returning to Australia.

Does anyone know what issues I may run into by doing this? Mostly the fact when leaving Australia at the airport I will have a return flight back to the country without a valid visa. I would take as much proof as possible to show I will be coming to solely visit my partner along with my sister who also lives here and that I have sufficient funds to support myself for the 3 weeks. I would also already have a flight booked from Australia to the UK at the start of October.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I'm not sure if you'd be granted entry to NZ if you don't have an Australia visa (i.e. your exiting flight wouldn't be possible without the Australian visa). Getting a visitor visa immediately after a WHV is always a gamble, and getting one after a 2nd WHV is probably a bigger gamble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your post. Would I not be granted into NZ because the return flight is invalid due to the visa? I’m not too worried about customs coming back to Oz as they are more than welcome to contact who they wish to verify my story. Would things be different if I went to NZ and returned all before my WHV has ended? The ETA would override the remainder of my WHV.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
To enter NZ as a UK citizen....

"You must be from a visa waiver country.
You must have a ticket out of New Zealand to a country you have the right to enter and enough money for your stay.
You must be in good health and of good character."

If your return ticket is to Australia and you don't have a visa to allow you to enter Australia at that time, then NZ may not grant you entry.

You could go to NZ before your WHV ends and apply for an ETA, but again it may be questioned why you need one immediately after spending 2 years in Australia on a WHV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve spoken to both Aus and NZ immigration. Aus have said I’m not doing anything illegal, and providing I have a letter from my partner just to confirm the details I would be fine. I’m less worried about seeming to be a genuine entrant because as I mentioned, I can provide day by day proof as to why I am there (which is clearly only for tourism purposes.) My flight out of Australia is 3 weeks later with my partner.

The issue was the fact I didn’t have a valid visa for my entry back to Australia which caused an issue with NZ immigration, so by having a flight booked before my WHV ends meets these requirements.

The only issue now is whether or not an ETA will override my current WHV (and whether it will get granted in the first place.

The absolute last thing that I want is to be refused entry to Australia and it completely ruin my future de facto visa. I have done everything I can and have been told by both countries immigration that it’s fine, so not sure what more I can do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.