Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I am in the following situation:
My Australian wife and I are living in Germany, but planning to move to Melbourne for 2-3 years. I would like to work there, but only have 1 year of work experience (in addition to my Master degree). I score 65 points in the Points Test.
Alternatively, the boss of my German company offered to keep me as employee, working from home office in Melbourne.
I considered various options already but do not know which one would be the easiest. I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts!

Cheers,
Sven

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Hey folks,

I am in the following situation:
My Australian wife and I are living in Germany, but planning to move to Melbourne for 2-3 years. I would like to work there, but only have 1 year of work experience (in addition to my Master degree). I score 65 points in the Points Test.
Alternatively, the boss of my German company offered to keep me as employee, working from home office in Melbourne.
I considered various options already but do not know which one would be the easiest. I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts!

Cheers,
Sven
65 points is not a lot now, especially for the 189 skill visa.

In the last round, no one with under 80 points was allocated.
In the month before it was a minimum of 75 points.
In the few months before that it was 70 points.

Would a temporary working visa work for you ?

You might find a migration agent could point you in the right direction.
https://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/252474-registered-migration-agents.html

I wonder if this bit would contrave a tourist visa? (Alternatively, the boss of my German company offered to keep me as employee, working from home office in Melbourne.)
You wouldn't be taking the job of an Australian..
Something to check into, although not perfect for 2-3 years.

An onshore partner visa might work, if you came over on a visitor visa (ETA) so your partner could see what Australia is like, and maybe decide to stay?.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answers guys!
Yeah, I was thinking my point score could not be sufficient. So the 189 visa would most likely be no option.
Concerning a tourist visa I spoke to a migration agent, and she told me that it is not allowed to work on this visa, not even for an oversea's company via home office.
That's why I am now thinking about getting my German boss to apply for a sponsor status. I'm just wondering how much time this would take and how much effort it is for my company and me...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Home Office on WHV

Could I work for my German company via home office on a Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)?
Would the Maximum-6-months-for-one-employer condition also apply in that case?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Could I work for my German company via home office on a Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)?
Would the Maximum-6-months-for-one-employer condition also apply in that case?
I don't think you'll be able to use a WHV to do what you're wanting to do. If I'm not mistaken, the WHV is for regional work, not work in the city. It sounds like your best option is a partner visa. A 309 can be applied for now, and will most likely be completed before you're ready to move in 2-3 years. Conversely, you could wait and visit Australia first to see if you like it, then apply onshore for an 820 visa. Either way, I think it's your best, safest option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will go to Australia in two months. Unfortunately, there is no time to apply for a partner visa. I have an offer from my German company to continue work from Australia via home office. Would that be okay for the Working Holiday visa?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.