Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I am a civil engineer from Kathmandu, Nepal and I am eligible to apply for a CDR test. Right now, I am thinking of applying a Competency test for skilled migration. Since engineering jobs are not guaranteed in Australia, I am thinking of working somewhere else (probably Middle East) for 1.5 - 2 years after applying for the CDR. Now, If the result of CDR test is positive, can I apply for a PR based on this result after a couple of years?

Similarly, I'd like to ask if I get an Australian PR, how much will be the probability of my getting a job and surviving in Australia based on my qualifications? Will I find a job easily as compared to the ones on student VISA? Also, which territory of Australia do u suggest for a person who doesn't have much relatives/friends out there?

Thank you

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
You ought to check the Engineers Australia site to see what it says for an assessment validity and base your action that.
If you are successful with an assessment and then a skilled visa you could make an initial validation trip by the entry date that will be specified and then you will have up to five years from date of grant to re-enter.
Engineers are usually in high demand and chances of getting employment will to some extent depend on relevance of your experience and how the economy is at the time.
There's more resource development projects occurring in WA and Queensland but Civil engineers employment is also largely with government departments of all levels and with various water and roads authorities so there will be opportunities in quite a few states, the further you are prepared to go from major cities, the more prospects you may find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you For your reply wanderer. I am now in a serious "catch 22" situation- whether go for "Middle East" or "Australian PR", But now, if engineers are really in high demand in Australia, the latter would be a better option.
Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Plus you will get additional time ie visa processing time which runs into months.Seeing the current scenario you have almost 18/24 months.

You ought to check the Engineers Australia site to see what it says for an assessment validity and base your action that.
If you are successful with an assessment and then a skilled visa you could make an initial validation trip by the entry date that will be specified and then you will have up to five years from date of grant to re-enter.
Engineers are usually in high demand and chances of getting employment will to some extent depend on relevance of your experience and how the economy is at the time.
There's more resource development projects occurring in WA and Queensland but Civil engineers employment is also largely with government departments of all levels and with various water and roads authorities so there will be opportunities in quite a few states, the further you are prepared to go from major cities, the more prospects you may find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.