Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Form 47SP - Question 31

Hello,

I am Canadian and married to an Australian and we have been married and living in Canada for the last 17 years (I sponsored his Canadian residency).

We have decided to move back to Australia permanently and have began preparing our paperwork to apply outside of Australia for the Partner Visa Subclass 309/100.

I have a question regarding the definition of "Family Unit" and non-dependent children. The definition of a family unit noted here on the Australian Immigration website defines "Member of Family Unit" as a dependent child only: homeaffairs.gov.au/Migrationagents/Pages/member-of-family-unit.aspx

I have two adult children (age 23 and 27) from a previous relationship and they live on their own and are completely financially independent and not migrating to Australia. On the 47SP form, question 31 asks you to include all your children from previous marriages/relationship with a note at the bottom that states "each member of your family unit aged 18 years or over listed at Questions 31 and 32, whether of not they are migrating with you must complete form 47a - Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over.

So does this mean that I don't need to have my children complete form 47A because they are over 23 years of age, not dependent on myself or my spouse (as defined under "Member of a Family Unit") and not migrating to Australia?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I don't know, but my guess is that they are not required to fill 47A.

Based solely on this question does not come up often, but I expect your situation is common.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know, but my guess is that they are not required to fill 47A.

Based solely on this question does not come up often, but I expect your situation is common.
Hi I was just reading the the form 47sp and it states all children over 18 must be included on the form and they have to fill in 47A, I was wondering how would the form be completed if they are not part of the family unit
thanks in advance
Cathy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.