Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two daughters will be completing Form 888s for my partner visa application. They are Australian born citizens.

Do they need to attach any evidence of Australian citizenship ?

What evidence is required (if any) and does it need to be certified?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I downloaded the stat. dec. for my friend to complete this week and I cannot see anywhere proof of citizenship is required. I think the approved signing witness (J.P. etc.) will need to see identification in the form of passport and/or drivers licence.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I downloaded the stat. dec. for my friend to complete this week and I cannot see anywhere proof of citizenship is required. I think the approved signing witness (J.P. etc.) will need to see identification in the form of passport and/or drivers licence.
"The person completing this form must provide evidence of their current name, age and, where applicable, Australian Citizenship or Australian permanent residency (for example, a certified copy of the birth certification, Australian passport or passport containing a permanent visa). All copies must be certified"

·
Registered
140 Posts
"The person completing this form must provide evidence of their current name, age and, where applicable, Australian Citizenship or Australian permanent residency (for example, a certified copy of the birth certification, Australian passport or passport containing a permanent visa). All copies must be certified"
That is if you are outside Australia completing the stat. dec. If the OP's daughters are in Australia then not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is if you are outside Australia completing the stat. dec. If the OP's daughters are in Australia then not.
Pretty sure it is for everyone (I can see why the "note" section might confuse folks though) - that is why question 6 is there too.

Reactions: FreddoBee

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pretty sure it is for everyone (I can see why the "note" section might confuse folks though) - that is why question 6 is there too.
Now I am confused. Do you know what proof an overseas supporting witness supplies in your understanding when they are not an Australian citizen please?
The person completing this form must provide evidence of their
current name, age and, where applicable, Australian citizenship
or Australian permanent residency (for example, a certified copy
of the birth certificate, Australian passport or passport
containing a permanent visa). All copies must be certified.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Now I am confused. Do you know what proof an overseas supporting witness supplies in your understanding when they are not an Australian citizen please?
No I do not know unfortunately.

My MARA agent advised against using Form 888 for non Aussie citizens / PR's - and instead opting for a Statutory Declaration in the jurisdiction the supporting witnesses reside in (e.g. getting the Australian High Commission to witness the signature / a Notary Public), and we attached the Passport (bio page) of each person who did such a supporting statutory declaration for us.

This is the MARA agent I am using, and based on their Form 888 help page, no supporting witness evidence is mentioned if a non Aussie citizen / PR are using the form:
https://www.myaccessaustralia.com/partner-visa-form-888-example/

Edit:

Just noticed, it does say "where applicable" - so if not applicable (i.e. non Aussie citizens / PR) then presumably no evidence of Aussie citizenship / PR required! But a passport does show name / age I suppose :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
No I do not know unfortunately.

My MARA agent advised against using Form 888 for non Aussie citizens / PR's - and instead opting for a Statutory Declaration in the jurisdiction the supporting witnesses reside in (e.g. getting the Australian High Commission to witness the signature / a Notary Public), and we attached the Passport (bio page) of each person who did such a supporting statutory declaration for us.

This is the MARA agent I am using, and based on their Form 888 help page, no supporting witness evidence is mentioned if a non Aussie citizen / PR are using the form:
https://www.myaccessaustralia.com/partner-visa-form-888-example/

Edit:

Just noticed, it does say "where applicable" - so if not applicable (i.e. non Aussie citizens / PR) then presumably no evidence of Aussie citizenship / PR required! But a passport does show name / age I suppose :)
Okay thank you. I called Border Protection and discussed the wording in context of the first 'Note'. The context of the 'Note' regards "applicant outside Australia and is unable to have an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident complete this form".

The form then includes under the same 'Note' "where applicable, Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency". The word structure should complete the opening 'Note' context and then present the "Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency" guidance seperately instead of jamming it into one.

Hopefully it can be reworded to have the two applicant types separate.

Reactions: FreddoBee

·
Registered
179 Posts
Okay thank you. I called Border Protection and discussed the wording in context of the first 'Note'. The context of the 'Note' regards "applicant outside Australia and is unable to have an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident complete this form".

The form then includes under the same 'Note' "where applicable, Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency". The word structure should complete the opening 'Note' context and then present the "Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency" guidance seperately instead of jamming it into one.

Hopefully it can be reworded to have the two applicant types separate.
Thanks for checking mate :)

I guess to answer FreddoBee - the daughters will need evidence of their Australian citizenship, and it will have to be certified?

·
Registered
144 Posts
My two daughters will be completing Form 888s for my partner visa application. They are Australian born citizens.

"The person completing this form must provide evidence of their
containing a permanent visa). All copies must be certified."

So yes. A certified copy of their Passport or birth certificate is fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
They can use the Form 888 or they can write their own supporting witness statements but it's just not a 'stat decl' in Australian laws.

I think I've articulated that properly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
They can use the Form 888 or they can write their own supporting witness statements but it's just not a 'stat decl' in Australian laws.

I think I've articulated that properly.
Yes you have, thank you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"The person completing this form must provide evidence of their
containing a permanent visa). All copies must be certified."

So yes. A certified copy of their Passport or birth certificate is fine.
Thank you for the reply.

Now I raise the question of, is certification necessary if the form is supplied online and the passport/birth certificates are colour scans?

I see on the forum sometimes that certfied copies are not necessary if the document is a colour scan.

·
Registered
2 Posts

When I applied for my 820 Visa , I attached the passport copy signed by a JP for both of the Form 888. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

Now I raise the question of, is certification necessary if the form is supplied online and the passport/birth certificates are colour scans?

I see on the forum sometimes that certfied copies are not necessary if the document is a colour scan.
One of the passport was color and I still asked them to get it certified by a JP. Just in case cause you can never be too careful when dealing with immigration. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

I think that's relating to evidence to the visa application itself.
This form as a legal stat dec has it's own requirements which is yes, it needs to be certified.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.