Australia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We've applied for a partnership visa (820/801) with my partner and she should get the temporary (820) any time now (applied more than 15 months ago). If all goes well in a few years she'll become a PR with the 801.

However we plan to go live in Europe and will probably be there for a long time, let's say 10 years.

I'm trying to think ahead and plan how coming back to Australia would work for her (I'm a citizen).
Would she be eligible for a Resident Return Visa? We don't own property or have direct family in Australia, her only "substantial ties" is to be married to me, is that enough?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
925 Posts
It is not possible to say what the rules regarding RRVs will be in 10+ years time. If she is already in Australia and has been for some time, she would be eligible to apply for citizenship a year after she is granted PR. This is a less stressful route if you intend to be away a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not possible to say what the rules regarding RRVs will be in 10+ years time. If she is already in Australia and has been for some time, she would be eligible to apply for citizenship a year after she is granted PR. This is a less stressful route if you intend to be away a long time.
Hey Paul, thanks for your reply! Yes, her acquiring citizenship before living would be the best, but it means delaying our departure to Europe by another few years, which may not be feasible for us at this point unfortunately.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you don't have property or family it'll be hard to justify an RRV if you've left the country for 10+ years. Easiest way is to get PR and then apply for citizenship or in the future you'll have to apply for another partner visa.

If you can't delay move to Europe then have her visit Australia for a few months every year until she is eligible for citizenship. Thats what I see most people doing until they are able to apply for citizenship.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don't have property or family it'll be hard to justify an RRV if you've left the country for 10+ years. Easiest way is to get PR and then apply for citizenship or in the future you'll have to apply for another partner visa.

If you can't delay move to Europe then have her visit Australia for a few months every year until she is eligible for citizenship. Thats what I see most people doing until they are able to apply for citizenship.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, that's what Im afraid we'll have to do... I was wondering if there was another solution...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts