Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm currently on a Prospective Marriage Visa. I'm now reading forums here to help me gather more knowledge in prepping for my next visa, which is the Partner Visa 820/801. My PMV was lodged on paper so now i'm wanting to lodge my Partner Visa online. My first query was already answered on forums I've read here, about colour-scanning Passports and Birth Certs without going to the JP to have them stamp "Certified True Copies".

My main concern is that, ever since I entered Oz in December, to this day, i'm STILL unemployed. So my husband have been supporting me financially and we have used up most of my savings. Without a job, I wasn't able to open a bank account. But I do have a secondary card to my husband's bank account, is this considered a "Joint Account"? I applied for several jobs everyday online on gumtree, indeed, jora and seek, I also registered with recruitment agencies. So within 6 months, I only worked for 2 days, that was with a nursing agency. I'm EXTREMELY worried that my unemployment will affect the grant of my Partner Visa. Will providing emails from companies telling me "i'm not shortlisted for the job" as evidence to back up my unemployment, help? Because I have so many of these emails. So, very, worried. :(

Please advise. Many thanks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi, I would be very surprised if being unemployed would affect the visa. Proof that your husband is supporting you would be good, after all, that's what couples do, support each other.

My Partner and I have a joint account, and both names are on it, it sounds like your just a card holder on his account which can still be used a great evidence.

Have you tried to open an account with ANZ? I didn't have a job when I opened my account, as I did it the first day I arrived in Australia, and they didn't care at all. Commonwealth are another one to try too, I would be very surprised if it was a requirement to have a job when opening an account with them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tarlar,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I went to Commonwealth but they said I have to be employed to open an account with them cos they have monthly fees. I have yet to try ANZ cos we don't have ANZ branch in our area. But i'll definitely try to find a branch and try to open an account with them. Thank you for advising. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
DIBP care about your relationship not your work. It does not matter if you have a job or mot you can still open a joint bank account. We were with NAB when my husband first arrived and had no issues - didn't even ask about a job. We are now with the commonwealth and they never asked about my husband's job they just asked if he was on an 820 and that was it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mish!

I'll definitely look up NAB as well. Something for me and my husband to do over the weekend. Thanks for that. Cheers! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was on my tourist visa when we created a joint account at Commonwealth Bank with my husband (he's working full time), so unemployment shouldn't be a problem...

Reactions: FairyAngelWitch

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I'm on PMV, not working, and we opened a joint account with Bankwest as well as make me a secondary card holder on my partner's partner's credit card account. Even opened an account for our kid.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My wife and I opened a joint account at Commonwealth the day after she arrived in the country, also opened a joint account at the then Qantas Credit Union.

But it doesn't really matter - we have a joint account at the Commonwealth for our day to day expense (our "housekeeping" account), but both our salaries go into my Credit Union offset account for the mortgage - we haven't bothered going thru the huge drama of changing the tittle on the house and the mortgage just for immigration purposes. She is a signatory and additional cardholder on my account as well.

What I am saying, it doesn't matter how you structure it - as long as you can show you have combined finances.

It is less important at the PMV to 820 stage, as they have already determined your relationship at the PMV stage, they are mainly looking to see you have got married and are combining things.

Not to say, just send in your marriage certificate and all will be ok, always send in everything you have.

More important is to explain how things work, just say you use your husbands account and you have an additional card when you do your relationship statement.

Joint account something to look at for the final stage after 2 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mkarina! My husband and i will go to the bank tomorrow to open up a joint account.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm on PMV, not working, and we opened a joint account with Bankwest as well as make me a secondary card holder on my partner's partner's credit card account. Even opened an account for our kid.
I thought i have to be employed to open a joint bank account with my husband. Thanks for helping skyblue! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife and I opened a joint account at Commonwealth the day after she arrived in the country, also opened a joint account at the then Qantas Credit Union.

But it doesn't really matter - we have a joint account at the Commonwealth for our day to day expense (our "housekeeping" account), but both our salaries go into my Credit Union offset account for the mortgage - we haven't bothered going thru the huge drama of changing the tittle on the house and the mortgage just for immigration purposes. She is a signatory and additional cardholder on my account as well.

What I am saying, it doesn't matter how you structure it - as long as you can show you have combined finances.

It is less important at the PMV to 820 stage, as they have already determined your relationship at the PMV stage, they are mainly looking to see you have got married and are combining things.

Not to say, just send in your marriage certificate and all will be ok, always send in everything you have.

More important is to explain how things work, just say you use your husbands account and you have an additional card when you do your relationship statement.

Joint account something to look at for the final stage after 2 years.
Now i'm not worried anymore. I'll definitely provide evidence of my secondary card to his account. Will have to find where i put my marriage certificate though, cos we just moved house. Thanks purplemonkey for reassuring me. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.