Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ampk 
#1 ·
Hi I'm looking for advice on getting the ball rolling applying for a visa that will allow me to live with my partner who is living in Australia, he is an Australian citizen born there, I am of course British, we have been in a relationship living apart now for almost a year and need to now be together properly.. We both are totally lost on where to start as this seems to be an overwhelming task looking at all the different information written online.
I'm 25, partner 26 I have qualifications in beauty therapy and hairdressing NVQ Level 3 And currently work as a manager for a cosmetics company in a department store, I have spoke to someone very unhelpful on the phone (uk) that was via a visa Bureau they told me a working sponsor visa wouldn't get me there so we are maybe looking at some sort of partner visa? If this is suitable where do we start with help in getting me there as soon as possible. Thanks in advance Hettie

#2 ·
Do some research here and on the DIBP website.

Find a registered migration agent who is actually interested in helping you.

Be prepared to pay for a proper consultation. You won't get all the information you want with a free phone call.

#3 ·
Hi Hettie

There are two key partner visa options. The first is the 'Partner Visa' and the second is the 'Prospective Marriage Visa'.

Partner Visa

The Partner Visa covers both married and de facto couples. To be considered de facto, you generally need to show you have been in a serious relationship for at least 12 months. There is a requirement that you don't "live separately and apart on a permanent basis."

Prospective Marriage Visa

This is known as the 'fiance visa' and is for couples planning to get married in the near future (9 months to be exact). There is no requirement that you have lived together. As such, this visa is a good option for people in long-distance relationships who are planing to get married.

The Department of Immigration charges over $6k to lodge these visa applications. As such, it pays to get the assistance of a registered migration agent to make sure you get the application right the first time.

Kind regards

Lisa Wulfsohn (LLB. BA. GDLP)
Principal Migration Agent (MARN 1467616)
Proxy Migration

#6 ·
The WHV also gives you time to build a stronger evidence case of your relationship. And if you apply for a partner visa onshore (say de facto), you'll be granted a bridging visa to stay and work in Oz.

Or you can jump straight into the partner visa. It really depends on your individual circumstances and strength of evidence of your relationship.

#7 ·
From your post you have 4 options and maybe more.

1) Offshore Partner Visa - de facto, you may struggle with evidence for this. Process times of about a year so would want/need Visitor Visa to be together, No work rights.

2) Visitor Visa then a Partner Visa onshore (may need to marry) again you may struggle on evidence for this. You would get work rights when Visitor Visa expires (say 3 months).

3) PMV, see above need to get married - also an offshore visa so Visitor Visa required. Much less evidence required for this.

All 3 of these Partner Visa's fees are around $7,000, after married PMV has an extra fee of around $1,200.

4) WHV - this is fairly cheap and fast, allows you to live together for at least a year gaining evidence for onshore Partner Visa, only work restriction is on the WHV of 6 months max per employer no restrictions on bridging visa.

Depending on where you live and what your qualifications mean in Australia some other work visas maybe available, this is normally fastest and cheapest way to live in Australia as you don't pay the $7,000 Partner Visa fee. You would need to consult a RMA on this as I know little about them. One of the agents that post on here a month or so back said a consultation was $180. That fee is then taken off the full fee if you use them to do all your application.

So do some research and then consult a RMA then you should understand all options you have, and the pros and cons for $180. A bargain I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.