Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaalright. So.
I'm a 21-year-old US citizen currently living in the US, but engaged to an Australian citizen. We met online, things sort of clicked, and we've been together for three years (four, this december).

I am desperately trying to navigate all the visas and requirements that are needed in order to marry him and live there, (the separation is killing me) but I keep getting confused, so...here I am.
Some background:
We became a couple in 2015.
I visited him for 2 weeks in August of 2017.
He just visited me for 2 weeks this Feb of 2019 (he's actually on his way home now and...wow, my eyes hurt something awful).

I visited AUS on an ESTA in 2017, but haven't filed for any other visa after. It is now expired.

My questions:
How long would it take to get the Prospective Marriage visa, for a US citizen?
Can I apply for it and the Partner visa while offshore at the same time I apply for a working holiday visa? Would I need to leave before the Prospective was granted?
Would the 7000AUD application fee cover BOTH the Prospective Marriage and Partner visas? Its...a lot of money.

Bear in mind: I want to spend as little time away from my fiance as possible, and I am not a felon/criminal.
Thank you so much.
-Az

·
Registered
796 Posts
Aaalright. So.
I'm a 21-year-old US citizen currently living in the US, but engaged to an Australian citizen. We met online, things sort of clicked, and we've been together for three years (four, this december).

I am desperately trying to navigate all the visas and requirements that are needed in order to marry him and live there, (the separation is killing me) but I keep getting confused, so...here I am.
Some background:
He just visited me for 2 weeks this Feb of 2019 (he's actually on his way home now and...wow, my eyes hurt something awful).

I visited AUS on an ESTA in 2017, but haven't filed for any other visa after. It is now expired.

My questions:
Can I apply for it and the Partner visa while offshore at the same time I apply for a working holiday visa? Would I need to leave before the Prospective was granted?
Would the 7000AUD application fee cover BOTH the Prospective Marriage and Partner visas? Its...a lot of money.

Bear in mind: I want to spend as little time away from my fiance as possible, and I am not a felon/criminal.
Thank you so much.
-Az
Short answers for you. Technically I suppose you could apply for both but yes you would need to pay both lots of application fees. Of course 2 seperate applications would require two seperate fees.
From what you have posted while technically not impossible for a partner visa a PMV is much more realistic.
A WHV is possible but all visas are judged on their own merit and rules. They can't be lumped in together.

·
Registered
796 Posts
No offence but for such very basic questions you really should look at a MARA agent. No you don't need one if you are good at research and paperwork and have time. However those are basic questions in the grand scheme of things with a little research.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offence but for such very basic questions you really should look at a MARA agent. No you don't need one if you are good at research and paperwork and have time. However those are basic questions in the grand scheme of things with a little research.
Not to mention any agent I have spoken to has demanded a steep consultation fee just for....three questions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Perhaps your fiancé may be able to find an agent to talk to or try pm-ing one of the migration agents in the forum. I’m sure there will be someone who will charge a reasonable consultation fee.

It’ll really take the stress out of figuring this out on your own (which visa to apply for, what both you and your fiancé need to prepare for to ensure a successful visa application).

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
My preliminary consultation fee, to assess whether a detailed assessment is worth paying for is nil. An online consultation to put a prospective applicant on the right track costs $190 plus 10% Goods and Services Tax tax for applicants in Australia. The OP has already been advised about what is probably the best option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My preliminary consultation fee, to assess whether a detailed assessment is worth paying for is nil. An online consultation to put a prospective applicant on the right track costs $190 plus 10% Goods and Services Tax tax for applicants in Australia. The OP has already been advised about what is probably the best option.
Is that in AUD or USD? I may actually go to you if that's okay. (I'm the OP btw hahha)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi WRussell, I am also looking for an agent to guide me on a partner visa application.

Where can I contact you regarding a preliminary assessment?

Thanks,
Sia

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is your partner not helping you sort this out? Must be much easier for him to find the information. I also agree that an RMA can make everything a lot simpler and give you the best path.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It is mostly straight forward with average intelligence required and you could complete the application together. All your questions are answered there too. It really is a mostly well constructed site.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/

·
Registered
125 Posts
Aaalright. So.

Some background:

My questions:

Thank you so much.
-Az
Most of your questions can be answered by reading the Australian immigration website. The most current global processing times, etc. are posted there first, then others post them here. You probably would be best served reading that website thoroughly first, review the checklists and procedures, then come back here and ask specific questions if you are not clear on something. There is no special or expedited avenue to speed your application up over someone else, other than to submit a complete application. If you cannot understand the posted procedures then an RMA may be a wise investment to guide you through the process. Many can do it without, just depends on the individual. Most (not all) applications from the US seem to be taking 16-18 months for the first stage grant. It is a long and detailed process and should not be taken lightly as there are aprox.190,000 others submitting similar applications per year.
Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is your partner not helping you sort this out? Must be much easier for him to find the information. I also agree that an RMA can make everything a lot simpler and give you the best path.
We are both clueless and worried we will mess up something hhah.
I've read what I can from the aus embassy website and I just want to be able to spend as little time apart and move there as soon as possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.