Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi everchanging_Spectrum,

Welcome to the forums! Unfortunately I have to agree with Mark in that the Working Holiday Visa is not ideal for securing potential long term employment in a function that you truly want. From both personal experience and the experiences from others on Working Holiday Visas I have personally met, the rare instances in which people are able to find an office job (so not hospitality, agriculture, but just an office-setting) on a Working Holiday Visa, these are usually not the type of jobs where they consider sponsorship or anything in that direction. Generally the businesses (like the one I work for) that hire working holidaymakers are the businesses who rely on casual contracts and casual staff. They're not quick to offer up big commitments. That is why they can afford to hire people on this visa - they do not offer functions that make people hard to replace or that they want to spend too much money on.

I have personally seen the turnover in the office I work at, the Working Holidaymakers that come in and go out, and it's pretty out there. It's call center work, by the way. People on a Working Holiday Visa, at least 90% of the time, come in with a great big smile and express great ambitions, and are gone before the 3 month mark. They are generally unreliable. I know how harsh that is because I've been someone genuinely seeking work on this visa, but it's the truth. We've hired other Europeans onto our team that were charming, smart, quick to learn, acted like our new best friends - two months later, when they had enough money for the next trip, they resigned over the phone out of nowhere and were never heard from again. This is how most employers see Working Holidaymakers. It is harsh but sadly often true.

I'm not saying it is completely impossible, but I do want to warn you that it may be very tough to go down this road. Australian employers are often not very eager to hire people with temporary visas to begin with, regardless of their educational background, and if they do it is probably because they won't be relying on them too much. You'd have to make one heck of an impression to be offered a longer-than-6-month contract on your WHV and you'd first have to know if the company policies alone aren't even fundamentally against this. Where I work, even the Australian employees have a hard time securing a non-casual contract, because that department is so rooted in temporary workers.

Either way I do wish you good luck and hope that perhaps you may find something on the skilled list you can find your way through. I admire your courage to, out of the blue, want to completely move your life to the other side of the world and leave everything behind to start from zero. I for one would not have had the courage for that if I hadn't accidentally fallen in love with an Australian!

Succes ermee!

x Nelly

Reactions: louiseb
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.