Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I am starting to think, rather seriously, about coming to Australia, for a gap (half) year and , subsequently, building up a future there (unless I find Aus pretty horrible, which is very unlikely I assume! :) )

I am considering in taking a Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa.
With this visa I could enjoy 6 months of tripping and then I could apply for a job.
My intentions are to get a "serious" job, I am currently working as a demand planner/inventory analyst and I would like to continue on that field.

My question to you are:

- is the 417 visa meeting the usual requirements "To be eligible to apply for this position you must have an appropriate Australian or New Zealand work visa." which is found at the bottom of white collars job ads?
- if it is ok, do I anyway stand a chance to get such a job, since by default I am supposed to leave the country in 6 months time (unless I get a second visa 417)?
- if I get the job, let say one year contract, does my job contract make it any easier for me to get, instead of a second visa 417, a visa which is granting me a longer term outlook and more stability?

I hope someone will be so kind to help me out :)
thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your reply, Mark.

I take this as that the WHV is not really an option for me.
It is not in my interest to do 3 months of "specified" work. Maybe one month could be nice, just to try out.

Is there some more suitable Visa then, in my case?
Willing to come to Australia for 6 months and then settling somewhere and looking for a qualified job?

If I'm not wrong, if I issue a holiday visa, then for one year I am not able to get a job, even if a get a different kind of visa at a later stage, right?

thank you again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the lack of reply, really having horrible busy weeks.

So, if I am to summarise all said by you guys (ook dank je wel Nelly! :) ), we have the following situation:

if I want to come just for holiday, and also would like to eventually work some lame job for making some money, the WHV is for me (quite straight this one)

if I want to settle in Australia for good and get a decent job, I would either need

A. a sponsor, which is not really possible, I think
B. a skilled visa, but for that one I really need to have a proper professional experience, which I sure do not have now, with 1.5 y of working experience

Though your words are quite encouraging Coral, it does not seem that the WHV is really making it smooth to get a proper job. Plus, I am also not aware of is the OZ job market compared to EU (here everyone is complaining that there is lack of job openings...)

So, as I see it, maybe my best option would be the following:
taking a half year/year gap to come over there on a HWV, before it is too late!! (i'm turning 28y old this year)

and for the medium/long term future (5 years or more I guess?), when my professional experience eventually consolidates, try out with the skilled visa (given that things do not change that much).
or getting married to an Aussie! :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.