Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Married and Tourist Visa... ??

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  OzMaan 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am Australian PR and planning to marry this December back in my home country. I want my to-be-wife to come with me to Australia ASAP.

I explored a lot of options. Please advise on the following option if its fits ?

1. She applies for a tourist visa now. If she get the tourist visa, she will come with me in January. I know there is a "No Further Clause" associated with the tourist visa. For this reason, I will apply for offshore Spouse/Partner (subclass 309) Visa before we arrive in Australia. I guess after applying for the offshore visa, I need to notify immigration regarding her tourist visa and she will be in Australia while the spouse visa is being processed. How I am going to do that? Can someone please clarify if I am wrong? I understand she needs to be outside of Australia when the visa is granted.

2. Another option is , After getting married I will lodge the offshore spouse visa and she can apply for tourist visa after that and explicitly state in the application that she needs a long visa to stay with me. is it possible?

Appreciate any help

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi All,

I am Australian PR and planning to marry this December back in my home country. I want my to-be-wife to come with me to Australia ASAP.

I explored a lot of options. Please advise on the following option if its fits ?

1. She applies for a tourist visa now. If she get the tourist visa, she will come with me in January. I know there is a "No Further Clause" associated with the tourist visa. For this reason, I will apply for offshore Spouse/Partner (subclass 309) Visa before we arrive in Australia. I guess after applying for the offshore visa, I need to notify immigration regarding her tourist visa and she will be in Australia while the spouse visa is being processed. How I am going to do that? Can someone please clarify if I am wrong? I understand she needs to be outside of Australia when the visa is granted.

2. Another option is , After getting married I will lodge the offshore spouse visa and she can apply for tourist visa after that and explicitly state in the application that she needs a long visa to stay with me. is it possible?

Appreciate any help

Thanks
Hi Ozmaan
Unless you really have to get married in December you would be better to delay your marriage and go for A PMV as much less proof of relationship is required.
Once you have lodged your application you could then apply for a tourist visa and your partner could come for a visit. Don't forget that your partner needs to be out of Australia for the visa to be granted.
Once the visa has been granted they must enter Australia to activate it, you then need to get married within 9 months but the marriage can take place anywhere.
Which country is your partner in? That will have a bearing on how long it will take to get a visa grant.

#3 ·
I will be getting married in December that is for sure . My partner is from Bangladesh. Actually I don't have the time for applying for PMV at this moment.

She also wants to apply for tourist visa now and want to come with me after getting married in Jan. Definitely I will apply for her offshore partner visa before we come to Australia. One more thing, it is an arranged marriage by our families and I didn't met her in person as of now. Only text and Chat.

Can you please advise if it is possible to come the way I said?

If it is not possible, She will apply for tourist visa, after I apply for her offshore spouse visa..

Please suggest me if I am wrong.

#6 ·
It can be difficult to get a tourist visa from high risk countries if DIBP feels they are likely to overstay. It's often easier after the partner visa application has been submitted since you are then being very clear and open with them that she wishes to migrate to Australia - you can include in the tourist visa application statements that you have submitted a partner visa, that you're very aware that she needs to leave Australia for the visa to be granted, that she will comply with all conditions of the tourist visa, etc.

As GBP said, it can be more difficult with arranged marriages when the situation doesn't fit the typical mould of couple meets-dates-marries, but it is done and it seems DIBP does recognise that arranged marriages come with a different level of evidence. If you keep in mind that yours may be slightly more difficult and you may need to provide additional information/evidence, hopefully it will work out fine.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks Maggie for you reply.

Actually she is planning to visit her sister who resides in Sydney and also a PR this year. Hence she is applying for tourist visa now. She has valid reason to visit her sister and her nieces. But since the marriage ceremony is coming up in December. we are to planning to get married and then apply for offshore spouse visa and leave for Australia. She will enter as Tourist and I will enter as PR. This will be only possible if and only if she gets the Tourist visa.

Once the spouse visa is granted, She will re-enter Australia Again.

My question is will there be any issue if this happens? I will disclose every thing to Australian Embassy before the flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.