Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

ive been in a relationship with my partner for about 2 years now. ( hes in florida and i am in australia)

we are starting to save and work on him moving here to sydney australia.

I just wanted to get some help on where to start applying, the first steps and documents we might need?

as far as I can see,there is a fee for about 7k + for the temp visa and the defacto visa. the temp visa allows him to be able to live here until a decision is made.

Is there a certain type of visa thats made especially for this? how long would it take so we can start the process now and start saving up money. I am looking into getting a loan to pay for it quickly to get him here on the temp visa sooner. As far as I can see, once the temp visa is approved he is able to fly back and stay here until the decision is made about the defacto visa?

As far as i know and heard you basically need to prove the relationship is real and minimum 1 year that youve been together.

On that temp visa, is he able to apply for work, rent a house or apply for a loan? ( i am not in the position for him to move in with me just yet, i still live at home but i am happy to help pay for rent and the mortgage)

I am hoping to help co-sign so we might be able to borrow the full amount instead for a place.

sorry for all the questions. was thinking about hiring an agent, but i heard alot of horror stories, how expensive they are, and hard to find good ones you trust.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,

ive been in a relationship with my partner for about 2 years now. ( hes in florida and i am in australia)

we are starting to save and work on him moving here to sydney australia.

I just wanted to get some help on where to start applying, the first steps and documents we might need?

as far as I can see,there is a fee for about 7k + for the temp visa and the defacto visa. the temp visa allows him to be able to live here until a decision is made.

Is there a certain type of visa thats made especially for this? how long would it take so we can start the process now and start saving up money. I am looking into getting a loan to pay for it quickly to get him here on the temp visa sooner. As far as I can see, once the temp visa is approved he is able to fly back and stay here until the decision is made about the defacto visa?

As far as i know and heard you basically need to prove the relationship is real and minimum 1 year that youve been together.

On that temp visa, is he able to apply for work, rent a house or apply for a loan? ( i am not in the position for him to move in with me just yet, i still live at home but i am happy to help pay for rent and the mortgage)

I am hoping to help co-sign so we might be able to borrow the full amount instead for a place.

sorry for all the questions. was thinking about hiring an agent, but i heard alot of horror stories, how expensive they are, and hard to find good ones you trust.
There are some great migration agents on this forum, there is a thread at the top with their info.

If you are apart you can apply for a visitor visa, which does NOT allow your partner to work while in Australia. There are a few types which have varying lengths of stay allowed.

If you partner is under 30 they can apply for a working holiday visa, which allows them to be here up to 1 year, and work at 2 jobs for a max of 6 months each.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
You have the wrong idea about application then come here and wait for a decision.

He would need to come here first ( maybe on a ETA) then apply for a 820 Partner Visa (if you qualify), he would then have full work rights.

Beware they are trying to change things so this wont be an easy option.

Do lots of homework and hurry up and find the money, maybe a few hundred extra to consult a good RMA. You wont go wrong with any of the ones recommended in the sticky on this forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have the wrong idea about application then come here and wait for a decision.

He would need to come here first ( maybe on a ETA) then apply for a 820 Partner Visa (if you qualify), he would then have full work rights.

Beware they are trying to change things so this wont be an easy option.

Do lots of homework and hurry up and find the money, maybe a few hundred extra to consult a good RMA. You wont go wrong with any of the ones recommended in the sticky on this forum.
Would you care to explain what they are trying to change and do you have a reference for this?

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
The reference is only vague but it is a change to a bill being put to Parliament (they tried to get it done last year) next sitting.

It will require the sponsor to be pre approved before a Partner Visa can be applied for.

The processing time for the sponsor could, not allow enough time to lodge onshore applications. Therefore forcing people to apply offshore (what the Department would like).

The changes are being presented as "Domestic Violence" concerns, so convicted people or people with violent history can not sponsor or will need extra "things" to be able to apply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.