Australia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I'm an Australian PR, but not living in Australia. My wife is not Australian nor Australian PR. She is pregnant now.

We would like to have our baby born in Australia so the baby will be granted Australian citizenship, broaden its view in the future.

I'm aware of the high cost (30k-40k for 6 months), but still affordable to us. I wonder what will be the most appropriate (legal, safe, encouraged) way to do so. Is a tourist visa 600 good, does 602 considers giving birth as medical treatment? May I get advices from you?

Thank you for reading, have a great weekend! :)

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Hi friends,

I'm an Australian PR, but not living in Australia. My wife is not Australian nor Australian PR. She is pregnant now.

We would like to have our baby born in Australia so the baby will be granted Australian citizenship, broaden its view in the future.

I'm aware of the high cost (30k-40k for 6 months), but still affordable to us. I wonder what will be the most appropriate (legal, safe, encouraged) way to do so. Is a tourist visa 600 good, does 602 considers giving birth as medical treatment? May I get advices from you?

I would suggest getting accurate information for this from one of the two Registered migration agents that regularly help on this forum.

Paul Hand, Registered Migration Agent 1801974
SunCoast Migration Ltd

or
Westly Russell, Registered Migration Agent 0316072
pinoyau.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi friends,

If you become a citizen your child will be able to also be a citizen from what I understand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would suggest getting accurate information for this from one of the two Registered migration agents that regularly help on this forum.

Paul Hand, Registered Migration Agent 1801974
SunCoast Migration Ltd

or
Westly Russell, Registered Migration Agent 0316072
pinoyau.com
Thanks JandE I was hopingg for some real life experience, may contact them in the end. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi friends,

If you read section 12(1)(a) of the Australian Citizenship Act, if and only if, a child is born in Australia, they can get aust citizenship by birth if a parent is a permanent resident or Australian citizenship.

If your wife gives birth in Australia, your child could be Australian by birth because one of their parents have PR.

Also, i dont know how long you have been out of Australia but you should check if your PR visa is not expired, because they can expire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you read section 12(1)(a) of the Australian Citizenship Act, if and only if, a child is born in Australia, they can get aust citizenship by birth if a parent is a permanent resident or Australian citizenship.

If your wife gives birth in Australia, your child could be Australian by birth because one of their parents have PR.

Also, i dont know how long you have been out of Australia but you should check if your PR visa is not expired, because they can expire.
Thanks popcorn. I still have another year before my pr expires. I believe you are right, my kid will be Austrlian at birth. But Im not sure whats the most appropriate visa my wife should apply to come and give bitth in Australia. Is 602 medical treatment the one? Some recommended us tourist visa but that sounds risky, and may not be legal?

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Thanks popcorn. I still have another year before my pr expires. I believe you are right, my kid will be Austrlian at birth. But Im not sure whats the most appropriate visa my wife should apply to come and give bitth in Australia. Is 602 medical treatment the one? Some recommended us tourist visa but that sounds risky, and may not be legal?
I feel that a tourist visa could be OK, but questions might be asked on entering at border control, depending on the size of the bump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel that a tourist visa could be OK, but questions might be asked on entering at border control, depending on the size of the bump.
Thank you JandE, the bump size is what makes me nervous, also the purpose of tourist visa doesnt seem to fit our purpose very well, Im afraid it could end up in a ban to Australia.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Thank you JandE, the bump size is what makes me nervous, also the purpose of tourist visa doesnt seem to fit our purpose very well, Im afraid it could end up in a ban to Australia.
The purpose of tourist visa, re temporary visit only, appears to be flexible. When my wife applied for her subclass 600 tourist vis, we wrote that she wanted to be in Australia to make plans for her eventual permanent stay once her other visa was finalised. They gave her a 12 month stay, long enough to cover the period to the other visa grant.

In your shoes, if you have the financial resources, I would use a good migration agent for peace of mind, and to make sure that you choose the right course.

Many years ago, in my previous marriage, I went though what you are doing, but she was entering the UK, my original home country. She flew at about 33 weeks and entered the UK as a tourist with an Australian passport. No issues at all. The cost of the birth was also covered under the UK NHS, as the father, myself, was a UK citizen. Not sure if Australia is as generous in that respect. Worth checking.

Reactions: thesunlight

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The purpose of tourist visa, re temporary visit only, appears to be flexible. When my wife applied for her subclass 600 tourist vis, we wrote that she wanted to be in Australia to make plans for her eventual permanent stay once her other visa was finalised. They gave her a 12 month stay, long enough to cover the period to the other visa grant.

In your shoes, if you have the financial resources, I would use a good migration agent for peace of mind, and to make sure that you choose the right course.

Many years ago, in my previous marriage, I went though what you are doing, but she was entering the UK, my original home country. She flew at about 33 weeks and entered the UK as a tourist with an Australian passport. No issues at all. The cost of the birth was also covered under the UK NHS, as the father, myself, was a UK citizen. Not sure if Australia is as generous in that respect. Worth checking.
Great, just what I'm going now, thanks man, I have already booked a consultation session.

·
Registered
52 Posts

regarding the visitor 600, did you upload other supporting documents in the application to support the intention of stay?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh a friend of mine just told me that I can only apply for medicare when my bridging visa is in effect. And a brdging visa is only effective when my then current visa (600 or 602) expires, that is when my wife would already given birth.
Is that true that I will need to wait until my brdging visa is effective? Is there any workaround so that I can get medicare for my wife before she gives birth, so the delivery cost is coverred?
Thank you guys and have a nice weekend! 😊

·
Registered
796 Posts
Oh a friend of mine just told me that I can only apply for medicare when my bridging visa is in effect. And a brdging visa is only effective when my then current visa (600 or 602) expires, that is when my wife would already given birth.
Is that true that I will need to wait until my brdging visa is effective? Is there any workaround so that I can get medicare for my wife before she gives birth, so the delivery cost is coverred?
Thank you guys and have a nice weekend! 😊
Your friend is wrong. It is one you have submitted your application. Occasionally a staff member is unaware but it's usually not a problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your friend is wrong. It is one you have submitted your application. Occasionally a staff member is unaware but it's usually not a problem
Thank you Aussie83, just to make sure I understand you correctly: once I apply for 820/801, if things are smooth, I will be granted bridging visa a short time after that (says 2-4 weeks), and even then when my 602 is still valid for another few months I still can use this bridging visa grant (not yet activated because I still have a valid 602) to centrelink, and they will give my wife medicare several weeks after that?
In short my wife can get bridging visa, apply for medicare and get medicare card all within the time period when my wife’s 602 is still valid?

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
There is one complication that can occur. Sometime the Medicare officer does not understand the rules themselves.

Some think you need to have applied for an 801 or 100 visa, and do not understand that the 820 and 309 applications are actually Permanent Visa applications.

You need to show them their own relevant page that states: "This includes if you’ve applied for a combined spouse visa 309/100 or 820/801."

We experienced that issue ourselves, but I showed them the relevant wording.

Reactions: thesunlight
1 - 20 of 29 Posts