Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giving birth in Australia

3K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  thesunlight 
#1 ·
Hi friends,

I'm an Australian PR, but not living in Australia. My wife is not Australian nor Australian PR. She is pregnant now.

We would like to have our baby born in Australia so the baby will be granted Australian citizenship, broaden its view in the future.

I'm aware of the high cost (30k-40k for 6 months), but still affordable to us. I wonder what will be the most appropriate (legal, safe, encouraged) way to do so. Is a tourist visa 600 good, does 602 considers giving birth as medical treatment? May I get advices from you?

Thank you for reading, have a great weekend! :)

#2 ·
I would suggest getting accurate information for this from one of the two Registered migration agents that regularly help on this forum.

Paul Hand, Registered Migration Agent 1801974
SunCoast Migration Ltd

or
Westly Russell, Registered Migration Agent 0316072
pinoyau.com

#4 ·
I would suggest getting accurate information for this from one of the two Registered migration agents that regularly help on this forum.

Paul Hand, Registered Migration Agent 1801974
SunCoast Migration Ltd

or
Westly Russell, Registered Migration Agent 0316072
pinoyau.com
Thanks JandE I was hopingg for some real life experience, may contact them in the end. Thanks for the recommendation.

#5 ·
If you read section 12(1)(a) of the Australian Citizenship Act, if and only if, a child is born in Australia, they can get aust citizenship by birth if a parent is a permanent resident or Australian citizenship.

If your wife gives birth in Australia, your child could be Australian by birth because one of their parents have PR.

Also, i dont know how long you have been out of Australia but you should check if your PR visa is not expired, because they can expire.

#7 ·
Thanks popcorn. I still have another year before my pr expires. I believe you are right, my kid will be Austrlian at birth. But Im not sure whats the most appropriate visa my wife should apply to come and give bitth in Australia. Is 602 medical treatment the one? Some recommended us tourist visa but that sounds risky, and may not be legal?

#14 ·
Oh a friend of mine just told me that I can only apply for medicare when my bridging visa is in effect. And a brdging visa is only effective when my then current visa (600 or 602) expires, that is when my wife would already given birth.
Is that true that I will need to wait until my brdging visa is effective? Is there any workaround so that I can get medicare for my wife before she gives birth, so the delivery cost is coverred?
Thank you guys and have a nice weekend! 😊

#20 ·
There is one complication that can occur. Sometime the Medicare officer does not understand the rules themselves.

Some think you need to have applied for an 801 or 100 visa, and do not understand that the 820 and 309 applications are actually Permanent Visa applications.

You need to show them their own relevant page that states: "This includes if you’ve applied for a combined spouse visa 309/100 or 820/801."

We experienced that issue ourselves, but I showed them the relevant wording.

Reactions: thesunlight
#22 ·
Thank you JandE, well noted on that! Just onenquestion: did you apply it when you/your partnernon temporary visa, and was it still valid?
As my friend mentioned we have to wait untill the temporary visa expires (602/600..) before we can bring the bridging visa to centrelink for kedicare aplication.
Have a lovely week you all 😊

#27 ·
As I mentioned before, sometimes the Medicare officer does not understand the rules themselves.
There is one complication that can occur. Sometime the Medicare officer does not understand the rules themselves.

Some think you need to have applied for an 801 or 100 visa, and do not understand that the 820 and 309 applications are actually Permanent Visa applications.

You need to show them their own relevant page that states: "This includes if you’ve applied for a combined spouse visa 309/100 or 820/801."

We experienced that issue ourselves, but I showed them the relevant wording.

Reactions: thesunlight
#29 ·
Hi all, it's me again :)
The hospital requires a GP's general doctor, and insurance. I'm searching around, going to book some telehealth GP. But I wonder if there's any reputable GP that accepts tele consultancy and gives referral to the hospital? Also does anyone know what is the best insurance firm in Aus for this?
It's hard to find 602 info, so really appreciate your time here <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.