Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I applied for an undergraduate course for a university and in my statement of purpose, I said my plan is to finish studying, work temporarily in Australia using the temporary graduate visa, and then apply for a more permanent visa. Boom, rejected.

So I read the GTE requirement and it says that my stay must be temporary, meaning I must go back to my home country after studying. It also says "The GTE requirement is not designed to exclude those students who, after studying in Australia, go on to develop the skills required by the Australian labour market and apply to obtain permanent residence. ".

Contradictory. So It seems like I need to lie on my application saying I will absolutely go back to my home country but then try to find a job after graduation?? So many students stay in Australia after getting a job. I don't know why they reject honest applications :/

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Each visa type has requirements at time of application and the department have policy on how they should be processed (PAM 3).

You need to meet the requirements of the visa you are applying for.

Many people get lucky on some visas, others don't.

This should be a warning for applicants that are applying for ETA's and Visitor Visas that also have Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements with intention to apply for Partner Visas.

You need to change your mind!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Each visa type has requirements at time of application and the department have policy on how they should be processed (PAM 3).

You need to meet the requirements of the visa you are applying for.

Many people get lucky on some visas, others don't.

This should be a warning for applicants that are applying for ETA's and Visitor Visas that also have Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements with intention to apply for Partner Visas.

You need to change your mind!!
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean I must agree to return to my home country and then "change my mind" later? Is it legal? Is this how people find permanent work options in Australia after studying?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
No not what I mean, you now need to consult a good Registered Migration Agent and see if any options exist for you to obtain a visa.

I am starting to think all potential students and persons that have held a Student Visa should never attempt visa applications by themselves. So many make a complete balls up of the process.

You now have the problem that immigration have documented evidence of your intention to obtain a PR visa - any more applications you make for visas will need to address this fact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do universities send the statement of purpose to immigration? So I will get rejected from all Australian universities now?

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Do universities send the statement of purpose to immigration? So I will get rejected from all Australian universities now?
What AMPK is trying to say is that when you lodged your 500 student visa everything that was in that immigration now have on file. So where you said that your plan was to applying for a graduate visa after the student visa immigration now have that on file. Therefore they will see that and take it into account for any further visas that you lodge to come to Australia.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I applied for an undergraduate course for a university and in my statement of purpose, I said my plan is to finish studying, work temporarily in Australia using the temporary graduate visa, and then apply for a more permanent visa. Boom, rejected.

So I read the GTE requirement and it says that my stay must be temporary, meaning I must go back to my home country after studying. It also says "The GTE requirement is not designed to exclude those students who, after studying in Australia, go on to develop the skills required by the Australian labour market and apply to obtain permanent residence. ".

Contradictory. So It seems like I need to lie on my application saying I will absolutely go back to my home country but then try to find a job after graduation?? So many students stay in Australia after getting a job. I don't know why they reject honest applications :/
Migration law can be very contradictory unfortunately. That's why it is always a good idea to get professional advice before lodging an application yourself.

Government policy in regards to international students is basically that they want you to come here, spend your money, get an education and go home.

However, there is nothing stopping you from exploring other options once you're here.

Problem you have now is that you have a refusal on record and a statement declaring your intention to remain in Australia. It will require therefore a convincing GTE statement with good evidence to show that you genuinely intend to stay in Australia temporarily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aww that sucks. I thought being honest was always the best. Now I know better.

Thanks everyone! <3

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Being honest is required - talking too much is often a problem.

Keep it short, sharp and to the valid point is the best.

In my industry it is big watch's that need to be shown!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.