Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to find what data the government matches and between what agencies?

And if there is a one stop shop for a Freedom of Information application?

I (everything seems to happen to me!) received a letter from the Australian Tax Office on Thursday in relation to a Dividend Income Discrepancy for year ending 30 June 2016. The discrepancy is around $780,000 - is this considered a debt to the Commonwealth now? or when will it be? (got 28 days to reply from 9 March 18)

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
I know the ATO matches with financial institutions. I am guessing the gave you the information for which financial institute it is for? In that case you can provide what you have from the institute to show what it should be.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Does anyone know where to find what data the government matches and between what agencies?

And if there is a one stop shop for a Freedom of Information application?

I (everything seems to happen to me!) received a letter from the Australian Tax Office on Thursday in relation to a Dividend Income Discrepancy for year ending 30 June 2016. The discrepancy is around $780,000 - is this considered a debt to the Commonwealth now? or when will it be? (got 28 days to reply from 9 March 18)
I think you should have a word with your accountant. I'm sure they'll know the answer. Anything that is considered taxable income including share dividends and interest is passed on to the ATO.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did try get hold of my accountant on Friday, was not answering so will send an email and try again on Monday.

They informed me that the source of the income was from a fuel company, that I owned a third of. I don't recall we ever took dividends but did sell the company, but not sure if it was that FY or the next.

The numbers just don't match the total dividend to me (there were 3 of us) is more than the companies total annual turnover, my declared divided is not my share of sale price. So I am certain there is an error and ATO obviously have the fuel company records to know it could never have had that amount x3 to pay out dividends.

But back to the original Q, is this currently a debt to the Commonwealth?

A friend of mine around 7 years ago got a tax bill from the ATO (he paid his subby tax but did not hand in tax returns) for about $800,000, he has contested this and it is still ongoing. The last I heard the penalty's and interest his last statement was nearing $2 million, I am pretty sure his is classed as a debt to the Commonwealth but they would be lucky to get $2K out of him.

I guess it is a timely reminder for Student Visa and WHV future applicants, and possibly added soon new future sponsors be aware of the ATO and their tax requirements and current at time of application status.

P.S. thanks for the links.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
The fuel company would have provided the information to the ATO, you could see what they provided to the ATO.

You could see if the ATO can give you more information about it.

For immigration purposes I know people have said it is not a debt to Commonwealth. However, my understanding is that it should be a debt to the commonwealth as it is money that you owe the Commonwealth of Australia for unpaid income tax/GST etc.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mish I am lucky the same accountant for the fuel company is my accountant and a family friend, so to gather that info is easy.

My expectation is someone carried the cents across into the $'s, that makes the most sense. But again the company had no dividend near that amount to pay.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
That makes it easy. That way you will be able to find out what they supplied to the ATO. The company can always amend what they supplied if required.

I am guessing that the other partners received the same letter then.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thinking the same, so a delay for me cost me less. lol

1 guy Steve will have a few kittens.

Only now the company is closed (or what ever) no longer exists.

·
Registered
1 Posts
pls. need help. Who I should contact to pay a commonwealth debts. I was deported 10 years ago and I will apply for 309/100 visa 6years married. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.