Graduate visa changes mean chance to stay on in Australia

Graduate visa changes mean chance to stay on in Australia​

Visa changes in Australia mean that recent international graduates have the opportunity to spend more time in the country after graduation to gain practical work experience. The changes have been made to the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa to introduce new post study work arrangements for certain graduates with an Australian bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree.

The subclass 485 visa now provides recent graduates with the opportunity to spend more time in Australia following their studies to gain practical work experience to accompany their Australian qualifications. Subclass 485 visa applicants must now apply in either the Graduate Work stream or the Post Study Work stream. Each stream of the subclass 485 visa has its own specific requirements that applicants must satisfy for their application to be successful. The visa is valid for 18 months.

The Graduate Work stream is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation in demand in the Australian labour market, as determined by the Skilled Occupation List. The Post Study Work stream is for international students who have recently graduated with a bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree from an Australian educational institution, regardless of their field of study. These visas can be granted for up to four years, depending on qualifications.
Quote from AustraliaForum.com : "I am looking for good off campus accommodation. I have searched many sites but am quite hesitant to book from this side before actually seeing the place in person. I wanted to know if there are any similar students that would like to search for flats/housing together once arriving in Australia Newcastle, or where can I find such people?"
This stream of the subclass 485 is only available to international students who applied for and were granted their first Australian student visa on or after 05 November 2011, which is the day the genuine temporary entrant requirement was introduced in the student visa programme. If you are applying for a subclass 485 visa, you now need to provide evidence with your application of having health insurance to cover your stay in Australia.

There may be additional costs associated with the subclass 485 visa. For example, you may have to pay the costs of health assessments and police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. Each applicant is personally responsible for making the necessary arrangements.