Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just a quick question. My partners 309 visa had been granted with an arrival time to enter Australia. Just want to confirm, he needs to remain in Australia for a certain time? Or is it an activation? Can he leave after a day for example?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not sure I understand why peopl apply for residency and then don’t live in the country.

To each their own, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Not sure I understand why peopl apply for residency and then don't live in the country.

To each their own, I suppose.
I often wonder about this as well. In the application you do after all indicate your commitment to reside in Australia.

It can create all sort of issues down the track with RRVs and citizenship applications.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I can see a few reasons why an activation could be of a benefit.

Considering a 309 grant can be any time frame from 2 - 18 months solid commitments around work and large asset sales such as a house can often not be made until the visa is granted. The must enter date is tied to the medical/police documents and can be requested or supplied at any time but that does not mean the visa will be processed and they may need to be done again - you just can not tell when the visa will be decided.

My company wishes to change training bonds in the EBA and remove years of service bonding reductions. This change can be implemented in less time than a 309 application takes to decide. The increased bonding amount can easily be $30,000 and they want that to extend from 2 to 3 years. Currently if I were employed for x years the bond could be only 25% of the full amount and last only 1 or 2 years, so a negligible amount. So in a case like this a delay in migration can be reasonable as a visa is a privilege and not a right - or should people throw away opportunity waiting for a decision?

Similar is selling a house, there can be a vast difference in the market and available buyers during the year. It would be foolish to sell your house before you get your visa if you are going to get a very low price (you don't buy your plane ticket before you get your visa). Renting out the house you need to sell is never great, paying a mortgage on a vacant house in home country and renting another house in Sydney or many other places in Australia would be quite a challenge.

I am sure there are many other reasons all due to the unknown process time that varies so greatly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys can someone help me please. How long does it take to withdraw a visa application? I have attached 1446 to immi account and sent it to the department aswell. I need a confirmation of visa withdrawl. Can someone tell me how long that would take? Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey guys can someone help me please. How long does it take to withdraw a visa application? I have attached 1446 to immi account and sent it to the department aswell. I need a confirmation of visa withdrawl. Can someone tell me how long that would take? Thanks
Not to sound rude, but you have posted the same thing in four different threads (that are mostly totally unrelatable to your question).

Perhaps start your own thread, and you may get some more specific answers a lot quicker.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I often wonder about this as well. In the application you do after all indicate your commitment to reside in Australia.

It can create all sort of issues down the track with RRVs and citizenship applications.
You would think when applying to reside permanently in a country you're intention is to do just that. Personally, we don't have any plans in the near future to leave Australia. I don't want to muck up my citizenship eligibility, even though that is way, way down the track.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I've also heard of people applying for a visa now while they meet the criteria, even though they only plan to actually move in the next couple of years. Rather than taking a risk that the rules will change and they won't be eligible at a later date, they get the visa while they can.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've also heard of people applying for a visa now while they meet the criteria, even though they only plan to actually move in the next couple of years. Rather than taking a risk that the rules will change and they won't be eligible at a later date, they get the visa while they can.
Fair point, it makes sense. I guess I'm just thinking of a few posts I've read along the way where people say they don't intend to live permanently here on a permanent visa.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Fair point, it makes sense. I guess I'm just thinking of a few posts I've read along the way where people say they don't intend to live permanently here on a permanent visa.
Prob why there are things in place like PR has to be usually resident to sponsor someone else and the reason PR only has the initial 5 years of being able to return without an RRV. And even then, you need to apply for an RRV after that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am applying now because while I don't plan to move until 2020 there is a possibility that I might get a job in Aus and relocation, and it would help to have work rights in place already. It gives more options as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.