Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone
I am in a bit tricky situation and would appreciate your opinions/advice..very stressed and lost bit atm.
I just got my 801 PR few weeks ago. Problem is.. me and my ex husband separated last year dec and still in the process of getting a divorce. We really tried to resolve our issue but decided to get a divorce and that was early this year. I took immigration lawyers advice and applied for 457 and 186 separately in Jan and March.
My lawyer recommended not to withdraw 820 and just apply for 457 and 186 first. He told me he will contact department on behalf of me if I need to explain about my relationship breakdown. Now I got my 801 unexpectedly and he’s telling me to write to inform that about my relationship breakdown and cancel my 801 PR. I wrote my marriage status as separated in 457 and 186 application while me and my husband were trying to save our marriage.
What should I do? Cancel my PR? Or drop other applications? Thank you.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Can you apply to have your PR cancelled?

You could inform them you were separated as of December.

Is your "lawyer" a Registered Migration Agent? are they Australian based?

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
It would seem that you have been ill advised, as you have failed to inform the Department of your change of your relationship, you potentially could have your 801 cancelled with dire consequences on your other applications.
Maybe one of the knowledgeable RMA who frequent the forum will see your post and offer you an opinion.
I would have absolutely no trust in your original agent!

·
Registered
129 Posts
457 visas are no longer available , how can you even apply for it ?

How can you apply for 186 visa ? Do you have an employer to sponsor you ? Do you have Enough experience and positive skills assessment?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe I’ve applied for the new scheme 457. And I do have s work sponsor and work experience in Australia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe I’ve applied for the new scheme 457. And I do have s work sponsor and work experience in Australia.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
If someone came to me with an issue like this, I would not “advise” them. I would simply present the different scenarios and consequences and let them make an ( informed) decision on what they decide to do.

I never comment on advice given by other lawyers or migration agents unless I can see it in writing.

Cancelling your current visa may have far-reaching and unintended consequences.

Reactions: aussiesteve

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
I believe I've applied for the new scheme 457. And I do have s work sponsor and work experience in Australia.
You seem to be missing the point that as you have had your 801 visa issued already, technically you cant be issued a work visa as you don't need one.
You need to seek competent advice immediately, your current Agent is putting you in a potentially disastrous situation.
If you contact the Department and advise them that the relationship ended well before the permanent visa was issued , then you would be in breach of Section 109 -( Incorrect Information: cancellation where visa granted on basis of incorrect information or false document , this applies to all visas, Permanent or Temporary Visas). 1, also believe it comes with a 3 year ban.
Please contact any of the Registered Migration Agents listed in the RMA sticky at the top of this forum, you need to act immediately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.