Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I work and live in Shanghai, China. I would like to know whether it's possible for someone to lodge an immigration/visa application in a country other than their own.

I am thinking of getting it done by the consulate here.

By the way, I have already checked through the Australian Immigration website but couldn't find anything on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
da_gud_guy said:
Hello Everyone,

I work and live in Shanghai, China. I would like to know whether it's possible for someone to lodge an immigration/visa application in a country other than their own.

I am thinking of getting it done by the consulate here.

By the way, I have already checked through the Australian Immigration website but couldn't find anything on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Hi there,

I am in Malaysia and I was able to lodge visa apps here in Kuala Lumpur. But I suggest you check the immi website for infos.

Goodluck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

I am in Malaysia and I was able to lodge visa apps here in Kuala Lumpur. But I suggest you check the immi website for infos.

Goodluck
Thanks a lot. I will check it out.
If you don't mind me asking, how did your application go ? Has it been approved yet ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It has been approved. I actually had a few mulitiple entry visas subclass 676 since 2008. And now i have a student visa which i will be using this sept. I am not sure what visa u want to apply for but i was told by the aus embassy here that the country your applying from is not an issue as long as u have a valid visa in my case working visa here in Malaysia. Goodluck.

Sent from my iPhone using Australia

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been approved. I actually had a few mulitiple entry visas subclass 676 since 2008. And now i have a student visa which i will be using this sept. I am not sure what visa u want to apply for but i was told by the aus embassy here that the country your applying from is not an issue as long as u have a valid visa in my case working visa here in Malaysia. Goodluck.

Congratulations on getting your visa.

I have a work visa in China, so it shouldn't be a problem applying from here then. I am considering to apply for immigration i.e. getting a permanent residence visa for Australia. I will go with subclass 190 which means getting a state nomination since I don't have any job offer from there.

from where I come from, working for government/state means you'll have a terrible life but I am sure this wouldn't be the case for Australia.

Thank's again for the info. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ur welcome. Australia is a nice place thats why I chosen to take my masters there but Im not sure if I will stay there permanently after.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depending on visa applied, the application information guide will tell you where you can lodge your application.
Application for the 190 visa is by invitation only, you need to express an interest (EOI) on the government website.
Please keep in mind, the government are cutting jobs all across the board, so depending on you nominated skill, it might be difficult to get an invitation. Plus you need to satisfy English requirements & get at least 60 points.

At the moment, Australia are preferring (ENS) Employer Nominated Visas, if you can find an employer willing to sponsor you it might increase your options to migrate to Australia.

Goodluck whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ur right. There are big changes made in GSM visa process this year and its getting more difficult but I guess it is also a good thing for Australia to do to ensure that those migrating to Aus have the right skills in their respective fields so they will not be having a hard time getting a job when they get to Aus. I suggest if you give a call or go to the embassy to get ur questions answered properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on visa applied, the application information guide will tell you where you can lodge your application.
Application for the 190 visa is by invitation only, you need to express an interest (EOI) on the government website.
Please keep in mind, the government are cutting jobs all across the board, so depending on you nominated skill, it might be difficult to get an invitation. Plus you need to satisfy English requirements & get at least 60 points.

At the moment, Australia are preferring (ENS) Employer Nominated Visas, if you can find an employer willing to sponsor you it might increase your options to migrate to Australia.

Goodluck whatever you decide to do.
Hi,

Thank you for the valuable information. I was going to apply for the government nomination but now I am considering ENS as well. Technical/Telecom Sales is not exactly a high-demand occupation as far as I know. Even if it is, I think that most Australian IT/Telecom companies (private or government) would prefer to hire locals instead of waiting many months to have someone immigrate and then work for them
Anyways, I will still go ahead and lodge an EOI. I am not exactly in a hurry, so I don't mind waiting. I just hope someone can nominate me within the next 2 years.

I'll be doing my IELTS soon. I scored 8 couple of years ago. I hope I can do better this time. If I can get 8 in each module of IELTS then I can definitely score between 70 and 75 (depending on whether I choose government nomination or not).

What do you think is more likely to happen ? Me, getting a nomination from a company or the government, given my background. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hard to say mate, with the information you provided its hard to go into specifics. But I can say IT in government, well you got to have some really good / unique skill that Government can't get in Australia because generally you need to be PR or Citizen to be employed in Govt. so I doubt generic skills will cut it, plus thousands of IT professionals have had their job cut, highly qualified people too I must say, not just generic.

I hate to sound bleak & don't want to dampen your prospects, but that is my honest & frank opinion. But it doesn't hurt to put an EOI in :) you might be just what they are looking for.

I'd try ENS, at least you know you have a job to go to.

Goodluck whichever visa you go with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard to say mate, with the information you provided its hard to go into specifics. But I can say IT in government, well you got to have some really good / unique skill that Government can't get in Australia because generally you need to be PR or Citizen to be employed in Govt. so I doubt generic skills will cut it, plus thousands of IT professionals have had their job cut, highly qualified people too I must say, not just generic.

I hate to sound bleak & don't want to dampen your prospects, but that is my honest & frank opinion. But it doesn't hurt to put an EOI in :) you might be just what they are looking for.

I'd try ENS, at least you know you have a job to go to.

Goodluck whichever visa you go with.
Thank you for the honest advice again. Even if the chances are bleak I will at least try. I really like Australia. If by some one in a million chance I am successful, it would be the greatest thing for me in my life.

So I will go ahead with my application. I will seriously consider the ENS option but I still need to do some more research online first. Whatever the results are, I'll make sure to post them on the forum.

Have a good day, Mate!
Appreciate all the help you have given so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's the spirit! You will never know unless you try. Maybe you might be lucky.

Good Luck with your migration plans to Australia, as hard as it might be, it really is like a great place to live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's the spirit! You will never know unless you try. Maybe you might be lucky.

Good Luck with your migration plans to Australia, as hard as it might be, it really is like a great place to live.
Thanks for the encouragement. I have already applied for IELTS. My exam is this coming Saturday. I hope I can score more than 8 in each module so I can get maximum points for the language.

Sorry to bother you again but I have one more question. Which part of Australia should I consider moving to ? I don't want to go to the big cities like Sydney or Melbourne etc. I want to be in a city which is not too small but still affordable and where all the necessities are avialable. A place where I can find a decent job, even if it is not very high paying. Also a place where there aren't too many immigrants already. Please don't get me wrong. I have nothing against fellow migrants. I just don't want to go to another country and still be living in a cocoon like many other people do when they move. For example the Chinese, Muslims, Indians usually all make their own little communities and live in them, and sometimes don't mix with the outside people at all. I don't want that. If I am ever lucky enough to go to Australia , I want to live with fellow Australians to learn about their life and live like they do.

Have you heard of toowomba ? It's in Southern Queensland. My girlfriend is doing her Masters degree online from there. Would that be a good city to live in ?

I would really appreicate your advice.
Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks for the encouragement. I have already applied for IELTS. My exam is this coming Saturday. I hope I can score more than 8 in each module so I can get maximum points for the language.

Sorry to bother you again but I have one more question. Which part of Australia should I consider moving to ? I don't want to go to the big cities like Sydney or Melbourne etc. I want to be in a city which is not too small but still affordable and where all the necessities are avialable. A place where I can find a decent job, even if it is not very high paying. Also a place where there aren't too many immigrants already. Please don't get me wrong. I have nothing against fellow migrants. I just don't want to go to another country and still be living in a cocoon like many other people do when they move. For example the Chinese, Muslims, Indians usually all make their own little communities and live in them, and sometimes don't mix with the outside people at all. I don't want that. If I am ever lucky enough to go to Australia , I want to live with fellow Australians to learn about their life and live like they do.

Have you heard of toowomba ? It's in Southern Queensland. My girlfriend is doing her Masters degree online from there. Would that be a good city to live in ?

I would really appreicate your advice.
Cheers :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.