Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am here for my exploration of employment especially disability employment in Australia as I am deaf guy from Singapore.
I hope to be posted to Australia from my new job in Hog's Breath cafe branch here.
Much appreciates for sharing your posts like information that I need very much.
Cheers. :)

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hello Coollinux and welcome to the forum,

I can't say as I'm greatly knowledgeable about diasability issues and deafness certainly seems to get less attention than blindness where you have had organisations involved, Dogs for the blind being a prominent function and they have their regular appeals as do other organisations and in recent years I've see some coverage of what they have called Hearing assistance dogs too, ones trained to alert owners to a phone, door bell, alarm etc. ringing.

There are possibly more deaf people in working than we probably know of and certainly the hearing impaired in years gone by were noticeable with much larger hearing aids than what are available now.

As to employment here, if Hogs Breath employ you in Singapore, I'd expect you would be able to do the same work here, Visa permitting of course and for that if you have a look at Department of Immigration & Citizenship and our section on Visas & Immigration, you'll get the idea.

An Australian company, Cochlear I think it is does advanced research re hearing and have you ever investigated whether an implant may be applicable to yourself or are you resigned to lip reading?
On that aspect, perhaps you'll need some adjustment time just with the different english we use downunder, our Strine as it is called and slang.

Hope whatever path you can take, it goes well and best wishes for the festive season.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.