Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me if it is a requirement to have your H1N1 shot before entering Australia? I am debating on getting the shot..

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sylvie

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
That's the Swine Flu ain't it Sylvie?

No, it's not a requirement to enter Oz.

There have been a number of cases, quite a few earlier this year with associated deaths but not too many for a few months from what it seems re media who have not been in overdrive like they were but government here is providing free vacinations for residents, the program having been kicked off in last few weeks now that sufficient vacination stock is available.

It has been talked up as something that is more easily transmitted where lots of people are in confined spaces, just like airline cabins, but that is true generally of all flu strains.

A friend heading to Asia has had a Thai doctor comment that the US is allegedly expecting a big outbreak again in NH winter but I've not read anywhere just yet of any such reports though it was inferred at time of first outbreak of a second wave being possible.
With the deaths in Mexico and US I also heard figures of 35,000 annual deaths in the US caused by flu but when you look more into it, it is something more like 35,000 who died may have had flu like symptons at the time but especially with the elderly it could be something else through complications that they died of.

That said though the H1N1 does seem to kill younger healthier people too, again possibly because they just put it off as being another cold or whatever and so do not get treatment early enough.

Ít certainly should not do you any harm in getting it.
Might have to get down and have it done too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is a priority list on who can get the vaccine and its different everywhere.

If you can get it, i say do it--no harm in protecting yourself--especially if going on a plane (the amount of colds i caught while flying are incredible, also because the recycled air can irritate your lungs etc like heating or cooling systems can).

I really want to get vaccinated, but can't as there isnt enough vaccine here. They are vaccinating pregnant women and children first here, along with some medical field workers, but they keep running out of vaccine. The worry is that flue season is on its way in north america so the pandemic can only get worst if we are vaccinated.

Im a "group 2" priority here.... i just hope they get around to me before i fly!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.