Australia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello good people of the Australia Forum!

Can I find out it if anyone of you managed to get RRV 155 (5-year travelling facility) despite not fulfilling the 2-year residency due to the pandemic traveling restrictions recently?

I know they could just approve RRV 157 instead (shorter term traveling facility) but I was hoping the immi department might make an exception because of the traveling restrictions in place (personally, because $405 for a 3 month visa is quite steep).

As permanent residents, we have been away for almost 4 years. Partner is based overseas (where we are at now) but is with an Australian firm and has been with the firm over 10 years. If it helps, our 7-year old daughter is a citizen of Australia.

My partner was planning to return before the pandemic last year in March but has since had to delay his plan. Our RRV is not due till August 2022 but since processing time is taking time, we would like to plan in advance.

For myself, I can't return because of contractual obligation. I would if I could. Question, can I wait to apply for RRV after my current RRV expires? Say a gap of a 3-year?

Thank you for reading. I do hope I get some understanding of the current situation.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Can I find out it if anyone of you managed to get RRV 155 (5-year travelling facility) despite not fulfilling the 2-year residency due to the pandemic traveling restrictions recently?
No - there is no legislative provision for this to happen

Our RRV is not due till August 2022 but since processing time is taking time, we would like to plan in advance.
Processing times are currently around 3 months.

For myself, I can't return because of contractual obligation. I would if I could. Question, can I wait to apply for RRV after my current RRV expires? Say a gap of a 3-year?
Would depend on circumstances ... better to apply before the previous one expires, in my opnion

I know they could just approve RRV 157 instead (shorter term traveling facility) but I was hoping the immi department might make an exception because of the traveling restrictions in place (personally, because $405 for a 3 month visa is quite steep).
Very unlikely to be a 157 in your circumstances, more likely a one year 155.

Reactions: gibok

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No - there is no legislative provision for this to happen

Processing times are currently around 3 months.

Would depend on circumstances ... better to apply before the previous one expires, in my opnion

Very unlikely to be a 157 in your circumstances, more likely a one year 155.
Thank you for taking the time to reply me Paul.

And it seems like I got the 157 and 155 mixed up.

If it has to be $405 a year to ensure our smooth return to Australia in the future, I guess it's a price we have to pay. Ouch though.

Just a question, once we are back in Australia, we just have to complete the 2-year residency to get a 157?

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
And it seems like I got the 157 and 155 mixed up.
Just a question, once we are back in Australia, we just have to complete the 2-year residency to get a 157?
I think you are still misunderstanding the difference between a 155 and a 157.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello good people of the Australia Forum!

As permanent residents, we have been away for almost 4 years. Partner is based overseas (where we are at now) but is with an Australian firm and has been with the firm over 10 years. If it helps, our 7-year old daughter is a citizen of Australia.

My partner was planning to return before the pandemic last year in March but has since had to delay his plan. Our RRV is not due till August 2022 but since processing time is taking time, we would like to plan in advance.

Thank you for reading. I do hope I get some understanding of the current situation.
You can also claim the time overseas as "being in Australia" if you have links to Australia. You also have compelling circumstances - just apply with evidence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.