Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i passed my citizenship test today 100% but at the interview the immigration officer asked me if i had any criminal convictions but they are all considered "spent convictions" as they were all from 20 years ago and under australias own laws they are considered spent. Now if i was considered to maybe be a troublemaker in the 1st place they shouldnt have let me into the country at all right? I came here on a PMV 5 years ago...then applied for an 820...that got approved...then the 801...now i got to the testing stage and now they are asking me about this stuff that happened 20 years ago. They know more about me than my mom and dad do...and just curious if anyone knows anything about spent convictions and if they can use that to deny my citizenship. I feel like if they did i would definitely appeal their decision to the tribunal which hey...in their own laws they say "noone is above the law" and the law clearly states all my childhood convictions are considered spent...i mean 20 years its been...im a completely different person. Ive bought a home here, have a family with my son being and Australian....if they werent gonna allow me to come this far why let me get this far to begin with right?

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this.

However, there is a question on the citizenship application that does ask about spent convictions.

I do know that they are really cracking down on things to do with character issues but that is in regards to people who have served jail time 12 months or more since gaining their PR.

My feeling is that it won't be an issue, however I suggest post in "Ask Mark" and when he comes to answer the questions he will answer it.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I assume you declared these convictions on your PMV and subsequent 820 application? If so, then I wouldn't worry too much. Just answer the question honestly and openly. The fact that the convictions were 20 years ago and you've been given 2 visas since then are likely good signs. They'll know about the convictions from your police checks anyway.

Reactions: Mish

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They knew at the PMV...820 and 801 and citizen application...ive even put stuff on their that got deleted because when you get a 1st offence in the state i lived in if you dont commit another offence for a year it gets deleted...i even added that even though it wasnt on my FBI check...so 4 visas...all approved and my juvenile record isnt great but 20 years old and all minor offences...im not a bloody pedophile or a rapist...just your average run of the mill teenage boys do. I reckon if they denied it i would have a good chance of it being overturned at a tribunal...i see worse getting citizenship on a current affair!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.