Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guh. So frustrated.

I applied online for a Work Holiday Visa 462 13 Nov 2014, and got the news that I needed a health examination 22 Nov. I wasn't able to actually get the exam until I was in Los Angeles, 3 Dec, and the results were submitted to Immi 17 Dec.

Originally, I was supposed to fly out of the US 10 Dec, but of course that wasn't happening; now, I'm crashing on a West Coast friend's couch for the foreseeable future. I haven't bought any tickets, fortunately, but I did have Christmas plans in Adelaide, with a suitcase full of presents... and I guess it's all scattered now.

I just called the North America Service Center, and they told me that the application wasn't complete until the exam was submitted, and that the usual processing time of six days was off with an unusual application such as mine(since they required a health exam)- plus, it's the holidays, so... could be January before I get out of here. Dying. I'm dying.

Ironically, my best guess for why they made me go through a health exam is that I checked "history of mental illness" and said that I had been dealing with chronic depression throughout my life, but that with education and therapy, and the right medications, I had it under control. That or Ebola. Ebola is not unreasonable. (I don't have Ebola.)

For those wondering, I had a half-exam. I had a urine specimen and a physical checkup, but no bloodwork or chest x-ray, according to the doctor, at the request of Immi. This would all be so much easier if I just understood WHY.

Anyway, I'm mainly posting this for the benefit of anyone else who is blindsided by a health examination requirement for a visa that generally doesn't require one. You are not alone!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I guess the best advice is to apply for you visa earlier rather than later. It sounds like you have everything under control. Nice that you are going to Adelaide. As an Adelaide boy myself I can tell you that Adelaide people really love late Christmas Presents .. so don't worry about that.

Enjoy your trip when you get you visa.

Regards

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, yes. Definitely!

I did loads of research beforehand, and I thought I was good, but we started scrambling to apply for the WHV when our migration agent said that in his experience it usually took about a MONTH to get a WHV. :eek: And of course now we've rounded that bend and are cruising gaily towards who knows how long.

At this point I'm trying to find out who my case officer is(shouldn't there be an easy process for that?) so I can find out if it's worth it just to fly back home for Christmas with my mom and my dog. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.