Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hope anyone can help! Thanks in advanced.

I already lodged in my 820 visa application and been granted Bridging A. The bridging visa is not in effect because my temporary graduate 485 visa is currently in effect (will expire in Sep 2017).

I got my medicare interim card somehow already (I amazed that I'm even eligible for medicare because my partner bridging visa is not in effect yet). But 485 has visa condition - 8501 MAINTAIN HEALTH INSURANCE.

I want to keep 485 in effect because I can travel but not sure what should I do with the private insurance.

My question is: is medicare enough to maintain 8501 visa condition for 485???
if I switch my visitor cover to domestic cover with private insurance, will it have any impact on 485 visa??? (I already write email to private insurance company and they say I will have to change to domestic cover as I'm not eligible to get visitor cover anymore because I have received medicare card.)
or I should just keep paying my overseas visitors health cover to maintain 485 visa???

Anyone in similar situation or had similar experience could help and give some advice please? I'm really not sure what to do at this stage...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That is a very good question. I will do some research on that and find out. The fact that you are now under Medicare means that you no longer require the same kind of private insurance policy that you hold. I will see what I can find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a very good question. I will do some research on that and find out. The fact that you are now under Medicare means that you no longer require the same kind of private insurance policy that you hold. I will see what I can find out.
Thanks Jeremy!

I wrote email to immigration department and waiting for their reply. I'll just keep paying oversea visitors health cover before get any reply from them....:confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Information from the DIBP website

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is acceptable health insurance if you are still on a student visa when you lodge your application for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).

OSHC is not acceptable if you no longer hold a student visa (for example, if you are granted a bridging visa during the visa processing period or if you are granted a Temporary Graduate visa). Therefore, if you are applying for this visa while you are covered by OSHC, you will need to have adequate cover (other than your OSHC) either immediately after your OSHC ceases or before your visa application is finalised (whichever comes first). If your application for the visa is to be decided before your OSHC ceases, we will contact you to ask you to obtain non-OSHC cover before we finalise the application.
Acceptable evidence

When you apply for your visa, you must either:

- produce a valid Medicare card or receipt of enrolment with Medicare, or
- provide evidence that you and anyone included in your application have arranged health insurance in Australia.

Providing the Health Insurance Standard Template Letter completed by an insurance provider with your application is sufficient evidence that the insurance meets the minimum level of coverage required.

If you hold a passport from the Republic of Ireland, you do not need to provide evidence of having health insurance in Australia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.