Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been in a relationship for the past 5.5 years and my partner is sponsored by me on a De-facto visa in Australia.
2 years ago, we purchased a house together and just 2 months ago we split up.
I want to notify immigration about our relationship, however I do not know what will happen to his visa and if he will be made to return to Europe or if he will be eligible to stay.
If he does return to Europe I need to know what happens then to joint bank accounts and home loans/property titles.

Any help with this at all would be fantastic, even finding out if he can continue to stay. As he will buy me out if that is the case.

He has held his de-facto residency visa for more than 2 years and has been in Australia for 6.5 years.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Did he qualify for PR straight up or is he currently on the TR visa? If PR nothing will happen. If TR you will notify DIBP and they will issue him with a notice of intension to cancel the visa (I presume you have no kids together).

Property what usually happens is that he will buy you out or you will buy him out or it gets sold and you split the profit.

Joint bank accounts are usually closed. Some require 2 signatures to close others 1 depends how it was set up. Then they give you the money or you transfer it out. The nice thing to do is split it 50/50.

If he can't find another visa he will have to leave Australia.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
What will happen to him depends on his current visa status. If he is a permanent resident , the divorce will not make a difference and there is no need to notify DIBP.

For the other questions you should really talk to a family lawyer and a financial advisor/accountant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.