Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i live with my husband in Erbil, kurdistan Iraq. We've submitted his Partner (Provisional) (class UF) Partner (Provisional) (subclass 309) visa in december last year.

Today immigration worker in Jordan Amman has requested information. One major thing they have asked was "Evidence of your relationship with your spouse"

I moved all the way from Australia to live with my husband after ISIS was finished up. Most people have the usual checklists, like joint bank accounts, joint insurance, joint leases, joint utilities. Unfortunately Iraq doesn't work that way, in Iraq only one name can be on a rental lease, or utility bill. We need extra paperwork to sort this one out but it can be done with our landlord making a statement.

There is no surface mail so we dont get post, we dont get parcels, we have a joint bank account but the manager refused to make us a statement. The internet bill is in my name not my husbands. We dont have a car so no name on registration, theres no insurance/medical/car/home nothing. We dont have kids, we dont go out much because 1# i'm a westerner and its best not to mix too much 2# we dont do joint activities as most activities are separated by gender, i'm christian he's muslim and both non practicing so we dont have any clergy to back us up.

We are both upset and stressed out by this visa, the only thing i can think of is if we both do our own statutory declarations and get it notarized here. other than that i cannot prove anything without something physically checking in on us or calling us.

The lady in jordan has also asked us for military discharge papers for my husband, hes never served in the military and the Australian government needs to formally request for any evidence that he has/hasn't been in the military as the KRG/Iraq government doesn't give it to civilians.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As an Australian citizen, you are entitled to consular assistance from the Australian embassy in Iraq:
Services for Australians[/url]

Have you contacted the embassy for advice about verifying your claims or witnessing statements?
The baghdad embassy offers no help for stuff like visas. They are mostly there for emergencies like if i were to get kidnapped.

Visa processing is done in Amman, they usually dont want to speak with me and pass me off. I will try again tomorrow but they always refer me to the homeaffairs siteor to get a migration agent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, we lodged our application on the 6th of december, is it normal for them to be requesting health examinations so early on?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Skyblue6

Make sure that you upload statements explaining your situation and the reason why you cannot gather a lot of the usual evidence. Other evidence you might be able to gather includes evidence of bank transfers made to each other, Form 888 declarations from friends and family, photos of you together, call and chat histories, Facebook friendship histories etc.

Kind regards

Lisa Ira (LLB.BA.GDLP)
Principal Migration Consultant (MARN 1467616)
Proxy Migration

e: [email protected]
w: www.proxymigration.com.au

Disclaimer: This message is general in nature does not constitute migration or legal advice and should not be relied upon. To provide you with migration advice, we need to consult with you to obtain your full information and circumstances. If you wish to receive migration advice please email us to arrange an appointment.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
The baghdad embassy offers no help for stuff like visas. They are mostly there for emergencies like if i were to get kidnapped.

Visa processing is done in Amman, they usually dont want to speak with me and pass me off. I will try again tomorrow but they always refer me to the homeaffairs siteor to get a migration agent.
I know all that.

Consular officers MUST at least witness your signature to declarations. They MUST see you and can assist further if they wish.
An interview with the visa applicant is not out of the question. Do not let them brush you off, or bounce you around.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know all that.

Consular officers MUST at least witness your signature to declarations. They MUST see you and can assist further if they wish.
An interview with the visa applicant is not out of the question. Do not let them brush you off, or bounce you around.
Hey wrussell, thanks for responding. The thing is i'm in Iraqi Kurdistan and Baghdad and erbil are having a feud. I do not have a visa to enter Iraq proper (anywhere that isn't kurdistan) and it will take months to process one.

The embassy that is handling our case is in Amman Jordan, would i have to travel to that embassy? Would be quite hard as the Erbil and Sulaymaniah airport are closed by Baghdad and again i cannot route through Baghdad to Amman. If i have to leave the country in a hurry i have to travel by car for 12 hours to Turkish border to get to Sirnak airport. The whole thing is a complete disaster

My husband has already had a pseudo interview? they didn't say it was an official interview over the phone, its all quite bizarre from old anecdotal advice given from others. We didn't expect such a fast response from them as we only submitted our application in December.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey wrussell, thanks for responding. The thing is i'm in Iraqi Kurdistan and Baghdad and erbil are having a feud. I do not have a visa to enter Iraq proper (anywhere that isn't kurdistan) and it will take months to process one.

The embassy that is handling our case is in Amman Jordan, would i have to travel to that embassy? Would be quite hard as the Erbil and Sulaymaniah airport are closed by Baghdad and again i cannot route through Baghdad to Amman. If i have to leave the country in a hurry i have to travel by car for 12 hours to Turkish border to get to Sirnak airport. The whole thing is a complete disaster

My husband has already had a pseudo interview? they didn't say it was an official interview over the phone, its all quite bizarre from old anecdotal advice given from others. We didn't expect such a fast response from them as we only submitted our application in December.
Hi Skyblue6

any news yet? or still waiting?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Skyblue6

any news yet? or still waiting?
Still waiting, we're at the 9 month mark but its frustrating that the jordanian office wont even acknowledge the documents we sent. I might try get some further advice from a migration agent as its getting a bit frustrating dealing with them

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Still waiting, we're at the 9 month mark but its frustrating that the jordanian office wont even acknowledge the documents we sent. I might try get some further advice from a migration agent as its getting a bit frustrating dealing with them
Honestly, you need to get a RMA to deal with this for you. You have so many barriers because of your situation. If you had a RMA, they could handle these things for you. I'd suggest you get in touch with one as it will make your life so much easier. You've had 2 of them respond to you on your post. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, you need to get a RMA to deal with this for you. You have so many barriers because of your situation. If you had a RMA, they could handle these things for you. I'd suggest you get in touch with one as it will make your life so much easier. You've had 2 of them respond to you on your post. Best of luck to you!
I'm considering it but we just dont have any money at the moment, we barely get by every month just to feed ourselves

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I understand how that is. Well, my first step would be to search for things that you can do to help prove your relationship. Maybe others have dealt with this and have given lists of things to help somewhere online. I'd definitely get statements from friends and relatives, do stat decs yourself, explain everything as you did for us. Also, look into making wills (you can do these yourself and have them witnessed), definitely do your Facebook pages if you have them (showing your relationship with your partner's). Pictures, statements from landlords (when you can get them). Try to think outside the box for this. Think of things that you have together or do together. My husband and I play online games, so we also included some stuff from that showing our names, etc. If they've asked for medicals, then you might be ok. Usually you wouldn't be asked for that if they planned to refuse. Regardless, try to come up with as much as you can. Are there any utilities in your name? If so, then that could be proof that you two are living together, as it would be the same address. That sounds like a tough situation. I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: Skyblue6

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand how that is. Well, my first step would be to search for things that you can do to help prove your relationship. Maybe others have dealt with this and have given lists of things to help somewhere online. I'd definitely get statements from friends and relatives, do stat decs yourself, explain everything as you did for us. Also, look into making wills (you can do these yourself and have them witnessed), definitely do your Facebook pages if you have them (showing your relationship with your partner's). Pictures, statements from landlords (when you can get them). Try to think outside the box for this. Think of things that you have together or do together. My husband and I play online games, so we also included some stuff from that showing our names, etc. If they've asked for medicals, then you might be ok. Usually you wouldn't be asked for that if they planned to refuse. Regardless, try to come up with as much as you can. Are there any utilities in your name? If so, then that could be proof that you two are living together, as it would be the same address. That sounds like a tough situation. I wish you the best of luck.
Hey there, we've done alot of the work already, its just a matter of waiting now, unfortunately the jordanians never acknowledge our emails so we're not even sure if some of our stuff is going through.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hey there, we've done alot of the work already, its just a matter of waiting now, unfortunately the jordanians never acknowledge our emails so we're not even sure if some of our stuff is going through.
Yea, DIBP doesn't usually acknowledge emails here in Australia either, so I know how that feels. If you did everything online, then it'll be there. If you're emailing, all I can say for that is to include a "read" alert to show you it's been received.

Reactions: Skyblue6
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.