Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm an Australian Citizen and my girlfriend is a Thai National (living in Thailand) -
We have had a long distance relationship since Sept 2011 and I have visited her 2 times since beginning our r'ship.
She has also visited Australia on a sponsored tourist visa (676) once in July 2012.

All was going smoothly (my plan was to develop the r'ship further and see if we can take it further to living together in Aust via a PMV perhaps), when she has fallen pregnant (Oct 2012).

Now that she is 2 months pregnant (as of Dec 2012), I have a few points to consider....... (and a few curious questions which I am hoping kind board members may be able to help on^^)......

- as baby's father is an Aust citizen, does this mean the baby will have rights to live in Australia? - (if born overseas to foreign national mother),,,

- if I were to lodge a PMV application NOW, (I have read general timeframe can be approx 4-6 months?), then would my GF fall to the issue of X-rays etc on the medical for PMV?
==> ie: would she successfully make it to Aust before July '13 (when baby is due)?.... this would be for the sake of having baby in Aust rather than Thailand....
(because pregnant women can also only fly up to approx 6 months pregnant from what I understand.....)

- If we got married now and then lodged a Spouse/Partner visa, then would my (then wife) be entitled to Medicare and gov't assistance in having the baby? (as she will have applied by then and I understood entitled to this?)...

My points of consideration are:
- I would love for her to give birth to the baby in Australia (rather than Thailand)
- Not sure what her rights/entitlements are regards subsidisation of baby delivery costs etc, eg: medicare and PHI...
- I feel that I was always going to marry her, it's just that, well this unplanned event has pushed things along .....

Is there anything I may have totally missed?

Many thanks for your time and any advice/info greatly appreciated!! :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi my hubby told me it would be too late for her to lodge now as the embassies here, if Thailand is the same are closing for the holidays. Also time frame they gave us was 6-12 months. She will be able to immediately get her medicare card on arrival so i assume hospital cover is available. Check Medicare site.
If you really want all the answers drop into Immigration office in oz and get all the info.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I hate to say it, but from the posts I've read here and elsewhere I don't think your chances are very good at having her in Australia before she gives birth. (Please keep in mind I'm not an expert at this at all! Just basing this on what I've read.)

First of all, I'm not sure you'd qualify for a spouse visa based on what you've said. But someone else can address that. Whether you are or not, you won't be able to get a spouse visa OR a PMV visa until she does her medicals, and she can't get the xray (a critical part of the medicals) until after the birth.

As for the timeline of the PMV in general, the timeline you quoted is for low-risk countries. Thailand is not a low-risk country, so DIAC's quoted processing timeframe is 12 months. So even if she weren't pregnant, delaying things further, you'd be looking at possibly a year for a PMV. It could even be months longer, depending on how long it takes for all her Form 80 checks to go through.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :( Definitely wait for someone more experienced to come in and confirm what I've said. And, of course, consulting a migration agent just to make sure there's nothing else you can do wouldn't be a bad idea, either!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... Thanks for your input :)
much appreciated.....
I will investigate and research further and I am aware that this is more likely in the "not possible" basket, but in light of the circumstances, I can only do my best in finding out what (may be) possible.....

I've got to say, I just really didn't picture myself to be in such a circumstance,,,,
such a joyous and eventful moment,,,,, only to be so far away from loved one
... it's very difficult wanting to help so much, but being unable to... :(

alternative strategy is for me to fly there with appropriate timing for the birth, the really difficult thing is that my poor GF is working through heavy morning sickness, given up her 2nd job (till 3rd month she intends), and then planning on working right thru to the latest possible, all for economic reasons,
I send her financial support, and yet I feel so helpless (because I can't be with her)....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi mate..Peter here Dunan's hubby living here in Ph the last 4 years. Best thing to do for now is go to Thailand just when the baby is due.....hospitals there n here are shitholes believe me n if there r complications n the SO has limited funds then it can be a big problem.....even expats here go thru major crap in regards to getting proper hospital care unless you got lots of $$$$$$$$$$....take care buddy n if you really need to ask questions go to....teakdoor.com...its an expat forum....ha ha dont mind if you find the posts there a bit intimidating....just ask your questions n they will be civil lol....its the damn heat here that sends us a bit crazy......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for your advice and info -
I did check out teakdoor and will have a thorough read of it as well...

All the best

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.